[SOLVED] NEW Ryzen 5 2600 Overheating & Shutting PC Off

Oct 2, 2020
Hi, so recently I decided to upgrade my GPU and CPU to a RTX 2060 and a Ryzen 5 2600. I checked the compatibility of these two with my motherboard (ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac) and besides needing a BIOS update to 4.60 or higher (currently at version 4.80), it said everything else should be okay. After about a day and a half of fiddling around with my PC and buying and applying some new thermal paste onto my CPU, my PC finally turned on. However, when I went to run a game, about 3 minutes into the game running, my PC crashed and my CPU was extremely hot. I tried this again, but with a less graphically intense game just in case I went a bit overboard, still the same result. Although my CPU came with paste already on it, I reapplied some new paste (Corsair TM30) and tried tightening my CPU cooler to my CPU once again. However, once again I still got the same result of my PC shutting off. I came here looking for some help, as at this point im pretty lost and need some guidance. The only thing I thought was a bit odd was that the four sockets where I screw in my CPU cooler seemed extremely loose, to the point where two of the screws can even come out of the holes. However, when screwed in, everything seems sturdy and unmovable. (PS: I aplogize in advance for my lack of computer knowledge, this is my first time putting together a PC, however I try to do my research on things I dont know about).

The specs for my PC are as follows:
Motherboard: ASRock x370 Killer SLI/ac
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 6C 12T 65W AM4 w/Wraith Stealth Cooler
GPU: EVGA 6GB GeForce RTX 2060 KO Ultra Gaming Dual Fans Graphics Card
RAM: One Stick Of: 8GB ddr4 ram
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 700W ATX 80 Plus Power Supply
Operating System: Windows 10
Memory: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive & Samsung 860 EVO 500GB Internal SATA SSD
Case: Not exactly sure as it was a gift from a friend but I am 99% sure it is the Thermaltake Versa H21 Mid-Tower
Fans: Stock fan that came with my Ryzen 5 2600 and a Thermaltake TT1225 Output Fan

If you need any other information or even pictures, ill gladly provide it!

Solution
Hi, so recently I decided to upgrade my GPU and CPU to a RTX 2060 and a Ryzen 5 2600. I checked the compatibility of these two with my motherboard (ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac) and besides needing a BIOS update to 4.60 or higher (currently at version 4.80), it said everything else should be okay. After about a day and a half of fiddling around with my PC and buying and applying some new thermal paste onto my CPU, my PC finally turned on. However, when I went to run a game, about 3 minutes into the game running, my PC crashed and my CPU was extremely hot. I tried this again, but with a less graphically intense game just in case I went a bit overboard, still the same result. Although my CPU came with paste already on it, I reapplied...

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
It still could be the problem. Your CPU was hot. The wraith coolers aren't that good. Certainly not if you're overclocking the CPU. And you did say it was running at 100% usage.

Hi, so recently I decided to upgrade my GPU and CPU to a RTX 2060 and a Ryzen 5 2600. I checked the compatibility of these two with my motherboard (ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac) and besides needing a BIOS update to 4.60 or higher (currently at version 4.80), it said everything else should be okay. After about a day and a half of fiddling around with my PC and buying and applying some new thermal paste onto my CPU, my PC finally turned on. However, when I went to run a game, about 3 minutes into the game running, my PC crashed and my CPU was extremely hot. I tried this again, but with a less graphically intense game just in case I went a bit overboard, still the same result. Although my CPU came with paste already on it, I reapplied some new paste (Corsair TM30) and tried tightening my CPU cooler to my CPU once again. However, once again I still got the same result of my PC shutting off. I came here looking for some help, as at this point im pretty lost and need some guidance. The only thing I thought was a bit odd was that the four sockets where I screw in my CPU cooler seemed extremely loose, to the point where two of the screws can even come out of the holes. However, when screwed in, everything seems sturdy and unmovable. (PS: I aplogize in advance for my lack of computer knowledge, this is my first time putting together a PC, however I try to do my research on things I dont know about).

Memory: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive & Samsung 860 EVO 500GB Internal SATA SSD
Case: Not exactly sure as it was a gift from a friend but I am 99% sure it is the Thermaltake Versa H21 Mid-Tower
Fans: Stock fan that came with my Ryzen 5 2600 and a Thermaltake TT1225 Output Fan

• Sounds like the CPU is not mounted correctly. Try again and refer to any documentation that came with it or look online. If it's loose it will never cool. I don't know why you changed the paste. Should have just mounted it the way it was but whatever.
  • Single stick of ram is a big performance hit with Ryzen. You need to fix this. Get a new 16GB 2x8 3200mhz. kit. Buying another single stick and using with the one you have may have compatibility issues and just be a headache.
  • The power supply you have is junk. Period.
  • The H21 case is an old design and filled with drive bays from top to bottom. You are never going to get good airflow through it. If any of the bays are removeable take the ones you don't need out. If not, I'd replace the case.
  • So, you took short cuts to save money but hey...you got the good video card! Your system should be balanced with good parts selection throughout.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamSwolo
Solution

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Wait. Did anyone notice that the OP said it was "getting up to 72 C and 100% usage".

That is not hot. That is a good target temperature at 100% usage considering you are using the stock Wraith Spire that comes with that Ryzen cpu. Am i missing something here?

Your computer will not shut off at 72 C. At least, not because it overheated. Your PC will shut down if your Ryzen gets to 95 C. Is your reported temperature of 72 C accurate, OP?

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Wait. Did anyone notice that the OP said it was "getting up to 72 C and 100% usage".

That is not hot. That is a good target temperature at 100% usage considering you are using the stock Wraith Spire that comes with that Ryzen cpu. Am i missing something here?

Your computer will not shut off at 72 C. At least, not because it overheated. Your PC will shut down if your Ryzen gets to 95 C. Is your reported temperature of 72 C accurate, OP?

I agree, The Stock Wraith will do it's job if installed properly and looking at 72C 100% load it is working as designed ,it is not even near throttle. It could be a PSU issue, when you game it draws more.

Oct 2, 2020
  • Sounds like the CPU is not mounted correctly. Try again and refer to any documentation that came with it or look online. If it's loose it will never cool. I don't know why you changed the paste. Should have just mounted it the way it was but whatever.
  • Single stick of ram is a big performance hit with Ryzen. You need to fix this. Get a new 16GB 2x8 3200mhz. kit. Buying another single stick and using with the one you have may have compatibility issues and just be a headache.
  • The power supply you have is junk. Period.
  • The H21 case is an old design and filled with drive bays from top to bottom. You are never going to get good airflow through it. If any of the bays are removeable take the ones you don't need out. If not, I'd replace the case.
  • So, you took short cuts to save money but hey...you got the good video card! Your system should be balanced with good parts selection throughout.
Thank you a lot for your help! And yes, I completely agree that some of the parts are cheaper, however im planning to upgrade them over time as the outdated pc parts were just hand me down gifts from a friend.

Oct 2, 2020

Hi, yes sorry I forgot to mention this, but it was hitting 72 C after I changed the paste and screwed my cooler back in, before that it was hitting much higher temperatures and shutting down

Oct 2, 2020
I agree, The Stock Wraith will do it's job if installed properly and looking at 72C 100% load it is working as designed ,it is not even near throttle. It could be a PSU issue, when you game it draws more.
I dont necessarily think it can be a power supply issue as that power supply is brand new, also I wouldnt expect my PC to kill the power supply that quickly?

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020

did you check the "amp's" for the graphics card. as if you dont have enough amps. your computer would crash,when entering games., aslo was there a blue screen when computer crashes. or just a reset/reboot.. also your using 1 stick of ram. ryzen normally recomends 2 sticks. make sure your ram is in the correct slot for 1 stick. normally "B2", this stops blues screen crashes. . 70'c temp is not super high under load. most ryzens have 85'c + before thermal throttling kicks in. (but changing from the "stealth" up to a spire or prism, if not overclocking. would help), if over clocking. a noctua 212, or AIO, (pump with 240mm radiatior)would be best option.