[SOLVED] New Ryzen 5 3600 High Temperatures (90-95c under heavy load)

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I have recently finished my ITX build with a Ryzen 5 3600, but am having serious issues with temperatures. Other specs are as follows:
  • Thermalright AXP-90 (full copper) cooler
  • EVGA 2070 super
  • Corsair SF600 plat
  • 16gb HyperX 3200mhz
  • MSI B550i Edge Wifi
  • SGPC K55 ITX case
This is a very compact ITX build, so some higher temperatures were expected, but I have seen plenty of similar builds that do not get anywhere as high temperatures as I am getting. I have reinstalled the cooler twice along with thermal paste, and this particular cooler is known to out-perform the Cyrorig C7 Cu so I should not be seeing temps anywhere near 90. I have two extraction fans to pull hot air from under the case, one of which is directly below the CPU cooler.

Idle temps tend to sit around 40, spiking to 48-50 with light loads. But when running Prime95 for barely a few seconds temperatures ramp up to 90-95 degrees! Strangely enough, even when sitting at 95c I can't see any sign of throttling on task-manager performance and it appears to comfortably sit at 4.2ghz clock speed. I am running a somewhat conservative fan curve, but even when placing a high flow desk fan, blowing directly into the cooler, the temps are barely affected.

In Comparison, while gaming, my temps sit around 70-75c, albeit I have only tested Valorant so far, which in itself is a pretty low usage game. For my 2070, temps barely get higher than 65 from the tests that I have run so far.

Temp monitoring has been done via both Ryzen Master and HWinfo. When in Bios, idle temps are similarly around 35-40c. I have no OC applied at all, so am wondering if I have a defective CPU and need to file for an RMA?

Solution
Have you checked into those other units that had decent cooling as to what type of fan they where using.
Airflow or static pressure fans.
Just a thought.
Maybe Higher Static pressure fans ?
Seeing how it's so dense inside.
Noctua makes great fans they are expensive and can be loud at higher rpms but move more air.
https://noctua.at

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Did you disable the Avx's in p95.
Disable those and temp should come way down during the run.
Firstly, I actually found that for some reason Ryzen Master had auto set itself to run on Precision Boost Overdrive mode. After disabling this and running Prime95 again temps came down a little but still around 85-90 when running small FFT.

Disabling AVX's had no effect on temps. Overall temps still seem way higher than what they should be. I've spent lots of time hunting other forums and users, and with this setup I should really only be seeing 80 at max

To be honest though, this may be manageable if I can confirm that I'm not going to be doing damage/ shortening the life of my CPU running in the mid 80c range

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Being a itx I have never work with 1 so
I may be of no real help.
For me any thoughts from here is fan configuration.
Good Luck!!!
no worries! It may just be a result of the airflow and size of the build, but does still seem to be getting hotter than what I expected based on past builds.

Previously had an i5 4670k running in a ITX case with a stock intel cooler, and that thing hardly got over 70c, so had slightly higher expectations for this one.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
@Crosslhs82x2 unfortunately not, there is very limited room in this case. I should have probably had some photos for reference so you can see just how small this build is. I believe the case is roughly 6.7 L, which is a bit smaller than something like the DAN A4.

However, I made some custom brackets to mount 2x 120mm Gentle Typhoons on the bottom for exhaust. I don't really think it would be great having these as intake but seem to work pretty well in the current config as I can feel a decent bit of hot air being pulled out

See here: View: https://imgur.com/a/bH1ODLe

@Phaaze88 I tried that, but it made temperatures almost 5c worse. The fan is not powerful enough to work in that configuration.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
However, I made some custom brackets to mount 2x 120mm Gentle Typhoons on the bottom for exhaust. I don't really think it would be great having these as intake but seem to work pretty well in the current config as I can feel a decent bit of hot air being pulled out
Ok, but did you check to be sure they are not actually screwing with chassis airflow?
Remove, or simply unplug them both, and test again - cpu fan up and down.

If only Thermalright provided a TDP rating for this cooler, as it would provide some kind of picture of what this cooler is meant for...
It could simply be that Prime 95-like loads are too much for it. Besides that, your other temp reports are fine.

How are you applying thermal paste? The traditional 'little in the middle', is not as effective on Ryzen 3000 due to the positioning of the multiple dies beneath the heatsink.
iu
Notice the position of the 2 dies relative to the golden triangle in the corner.
Do either a light spread over the IHS, or apply 2 dots where each die would be located.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
So I've been messing around with a few bios cpu settings, in particular power package limit, and have so far managed to get down another 5c in temps. Cinebench running at more like 83-84 with barely a 6 point loss in performance score after changing the power limit to 80w rather than the auto 88w.

Having looked into this, it appears adjusting power limit is much safer than undervolting. But it still stands that I feel as though my temps are 5-10c more than what they should be. However, I'm happy to be corrected if this is the best I can expect

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
@Crosslhs82x2 Yeah it is set up as intake, I tried setting it up as exhaust but that seemed to make temps worse. Distance from wall is about 10cm which is similar to my last setup. To add: despite the changes made above it looks like temps are creeping back up. While gaming on Valorant I can see spikes up to even 90c with it mostly sitting around 75-80 which is still a bit high for a low usage game.

For reference, my last ITX build used the intel stock cooler with a 120mm intake fan above it, which also had a high-density dust filter over that. While my intel i5-4670k is not a fair comparison, this setup barely got to 70c at absolute max despite being in just as cramped of a case.
View: https://imgur.com/a/3GkFvQe

Edit: I've been playing with more BIOS settings, very small increases to fan curves on both exhaust fans and the CPU. Further reduced the Power Package Limit to 75w, and am now seeing around 75-80 on Cinebench with basically no loss to performance. Ran Prime95 for a few mins and was only seeing about 83c which is a huge improvement over the previous 93c that I was getting.

Will continue to monitor and still open to ideas, but starting to think I've jumped the gun a little with my over-expectations of an SFX build :sweatsmile:

Last edited:

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Unfortunately not, the bracket only supports this setup. But you're right, the fins are basically pushing hot air into the ram which is not ideal. The main issue with this case is that after long periods of use, a lot of hot air just gets recirculated. Ideally, it makes sense to have the CPU fan as exhaust, but it just doesn't seem to work from what I've tested so far.

I've seen a few other post/ suggestions to use a fan duct to avoid the recirculation issue, so might look into making one