[SOLVED] New Ryzen 5 processer, motherboard, RAM - PC cannot boot, randomly crashes, cannot be reset or repaired.

Oct 14, 2020
Recently replaced my old processor, motherboard and memory. Here are my specs:

-gigabyte b450m ds3h
-AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
-RX 580
-Corsair Vengeances 16MB DDR4
-2 hard drives - 1TB and 500 MB
-600W Power supply
-DIYPC case

Here is what I have done thus far:
-Installed new motherboard, processor and RAM. Attempted to boot but kept crashing, eventually could not boot at all. Reset PC.
-Reset PC did not fix. Removed a stick of RAM and updated the BIOS.
-Reset the PC again with freshly updated BIOS.

Here is what is happening:
-PC takes forever to repair or reset. When reset, it will run fine for a few moments, then shut off abruptly. Afterwards it will require another repair or reset.
-Currently on my second full reset and it is getting stuck in the process or taking hours to complete or just shutting off randomly.
-I thought it was the RAM so I took out one stick and updated the BIOS. These problems seem to persist. I'm hoping another reset will repair this.

Any insight is appreciated. I'm currently writing this while doing my third reset of the machine. Nothing seems to help.

Solution
FIXED IT.

The CPU fan was plugged into the SYS fan plug rather than the CPU fan.

After plugging it into the correct fan and getting an SSD hard drive for the OS, it works much better than before. It is not randomly shutting off - I think the temp sensor might actually be tied to the fan somehow?

It was locked at 95 celsius but right now it's idleing at about 40-45 degrees celsius just running a few programs. Overall it's looking great and running great. Thanks all for the replies.
Oct 14, 2020
It's an EVGA 100-W1-0600-K1.
BIOS is ver 51 from here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
CPU temp - this is odd - it states my CPU temp is 95 degrees both in the BIOS menu and in my Ryzen tool when I last opened it. This can't be right. I applied thermal paste and the fan runs nicely. Would explain the random shut offs. When I put my hand to the machine, it doesn't feel hot at all. 95 degrees is almost boiling, so that would feel really hot to the touch.

Not sure what to do from here.

kanewolf

Titan
It's an EVGA 100-W1-0600-K1.
BIOS is ver 51 from here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
CPU temp - this is odd - it states my CPU temp is 95 degrees both in the BIOS menu and in my Ryzen tool when I last opened it. This can't be right. I applied thermal paste and the fan runs nicely. Would explain the random shut offs. When I put my hand to the machine, it doesn't feel hot at all. 95 degrees is almost boiling, so that would feel really hot to the touch.

Not sure what to do from here.
I don't see that you did a clean OS install. Without that there is no way to troubleshoot.

Oct 14, 2020
When you have a OS that is confused about what hardware you have, there is no simple answer.
You could run MEMTEST64 to test basic system stability. It does not require an OS to run.
You could boot a portable Linux and see if it is stable.
I'm just going to try the fresh OS. I'm creating the installation media from my work computer now. I just need to run the broken machine in safe mode so I can grab the window's key to get going.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Oh boy what a interesting thread and we appreciate the detailed information your giving us. Forget about Windows Reset or Clean OS install for now and listen to me for a second. Your BIOS is reporting 95c on your CPU. I believe that CPU will shut off or at least reset by itself as it gets scared of that temp and the BIOS has option where once your CPU temp reaches TJ MAX it shuts off the machine to help prevent a death to the CPU. The BIOS is 99.9 percent correct on temps. Your able to use the computer in safe mode because it doesn't demand as much on your rig or tax it to much then you get a reset or shutdown. You say in Windows your temp is also showin around 95c. This is your problem at this point my friend. You did something wrong while installing the HSF. You put too much paste or to little and didn't spread it is the first thing to think about. Also once you put your cooler on the CPU you did not tighten the 4 screws to its fullest without chipping the motherboard of course. I would open up your case and re installl the heatsink fan like I said before. Clean the thermal paste with alchohol and cotton and also clean the CPU plate. Then apple a little bit of thermal paste in the middle and spread it around but not with your finger with a razor for example. There is plenty of tutorials online about how to do this the best way. Then slap on the HSF and screw the darn thing as tight as you can until you cant spin the screw driver, Just dont over yank it or you might chip the motherboard. Do this then get back to u my friend. I wish you luck.👶🙈👽🤷‍♀️

Oct 14, 2020
Oh boy what a interesting thread and we appreciate the detailed information your giving us. Forget about Windows Reset or Clean OS install for now and listen to me for a second. Your BIOS is reporting 95c on your CPU. I believe that CPU will shut off or at least reset by itself as it gets scared of that temp and the BIOS has option where once your CPU temp reaches TJ MAX it shuts off the machine to help prevent a death to the CPU. The BIOS is 99.9 percent correct on temps. Your able to use the computer in safe mode because it doesn't demand as much on your rig or tax it to much then you get a reset or shutdown. You say in Windows your temp is also showin around 95c. This is your problem at this point my friend. You did something wrong while installing the HSF. You put too much paste or to little and didn't spread it is the first thing to think about. Also once you put your cooler on the CPU you did not tighten the 4 screws to its fullest without chipping the motherboard of course. I would open up your case and re installl the heatsink fan like I said before. Clean the thermal paste with alchohol and cotton and also clean the CPU plate. Then apple a little bit of thermal paste in the middle and spread it around but not with your finger with a razor for example. There is plenty of tutorials online about how to do this the best way. Then slap on the HSF and screw the darn thing as tight as you can until you cant spin the screw driver, Just dont over yank it or you might chip the motherboard. Do this then get back to u my friend. I wish you luck.👶🙈👽🤷‍♀️
This is also another one of the things I'm considering.

For the life of me I don't know how it could POSSIBLY be 95 degrees. Thermal paste is good, fan is running smooth. I touched the CPU back plate and nothing. It felt cool to the touch.

Oct 14, 2020
I have to run to best buy.

The repeated attempts at resetting/installing a fresh OS have corrupted my hard drive to the point that it is unusable.

I can't even make it to safe mode or make it to the reset tool anymore. It continuously crashes. It crashed on attempting to install windows from the USB drive. Then when I tried, it gave me an error on the partition saying it was MBR formatted. I don't know how it was ever able to even attempt to install the first time.

This PC is a giant mess.

Oct 14, 2020
Another reason I don't think that temp is accurate is because the fan is running at normal speed.

Wouldn't it kick the fan into overdrive if it were at 95 degrees?

I think I have a bad motherboard honestly.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Another reason I don't think that temp is accurate is because the fan is running at normal speed.

Wouldn't it kick the fan into overdrive if it were at 95 degrees?

I think I have a bad motherboard honestly.
It is very rare for a bad motherboard to even get into BIOS then show you this temp. You say the fan should ramp up but that is a option you would make sure to adjust or set or configure which I don't believe you have. Touching the bit ole heatsink fins and it is cool is meh! It wouldn't get hot if the contact is not correct with the CPU plate to begin with. Im sorry about your hard drive jacking up. But to be honest you should not be using a hard drive as your OS drive. You should be using a SSD so consider buying one for like 60 bucks 500GB to the door. Then please consider the reseating of the heatsink to CPU plate. If your able to post and get into BIOS I hardly doubt your mobo is at fault. These are my two cents and I wish you luck and please check with us as we try to eliminate your issue and get your rig up and running and what not.✝🎗🤷‍♀️💯

Reactions: jmrnilsson
Oct 14, 2020
It is very rare for a bad motherboard to even get into BIOS then show you this temp. You say the fan should ramp up but that is a option you would make sure to adjust or set or configure which I don't believe you have. Touching the bit ole heatsink fins and it is cool is meh! It wouldn't get hot if the contact is not correct with the CPU plate to begin with. Im sorry about your hard drive jacking up. But to be honest you should not be using a hard drive as your OS drive. You should be using a SSD so consider buying one for like 60 bucks 500GB to the door. Then please consider the reseating of the heatsink to CPU plate. If your able to post and get into BIOS I hardly doubt your mobo is at fault. These are my two cents and I wish you luck and please check with us as we try to eliminate your issue and get your rig up and running and what not.✝🎗🤷‍♀️💯
Way ahead of you. Already went to Best Buy 3 times to get new memory, an SSD and a flash drive.

Currently it's installing the latest version of windows 10 with a new license I had to buy - the old license was tied to my old hard drive, hence my hesitation at getting rid of it and trying to repair it.

I will go through reinstalling the CPU with some fresh thermal paste if the temps are still high.

Reactions: jmrnilsson
Oct 14, 2020
Just tried installing windows. It keeps shutting down randomly.

Checked the bios. Once again, temp is frozen at 95 degrees and fan RPM is stuck at 0, yet I can see the fan is spinning just fine and the CPU appears quite cool.

Currently on the phone with gigabyte support to see what options I can try to resolve.

Oct 14, 2020
I also removed the CPU fan to see what the CPU felt like directly. Thermal paste looked pretty good and the CPU felt very cool - going to make another best buy run for some thermal paste and try to reseat the CPU and see if that does anything.

Oct 14, 2020
FIXED IT.

After plugging it into the correct fan and getting an SSD hard drive for the OS, it works much better than before. It is not randomly shutting off - I think the temp sensor might actually be tied to the fan somehow?

It was locked at 95 celsius but right now it's idleing at about 40-45 degrees celsius just running a few programs. Overall it's looking great and running great. Thanks all for the replies.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
FIXED IT.

Oh man what a shank. That will do it we all figured common sense takes effect and you had plugged in the fan header into the CPU pin. Your good to go if Windows can install all the way through your set. But still you can check your temp with many different apps of your choice. Most people use HWmonitor as that also shows your PSU voltages and other info and CPU usage etc etc. Enjoy🎗✝🙈👶

Oh man what a shank. That will do it we all figured common sense takes effect and you had plugged in the fan header into the CPU pin. Your good to go if Windows can install all the way through your set. But still you can check your temp with many different apps of your choice. Most people use HWmonitor as that also shows your PSU voltages and other info and CPU usage etc etc. Enjoy🎗✝🙈👶
Most people use HWINFO64 with Ryzen as its shown to be more accurate.

Reactions: DMAN999