Question New ryzen 5600x overheating a lot?

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
So ive got a new ryzen 5600x and the temps are going insanely up,for an old game lineage 2 im playing its running on 70-75 Celsius,is that normal? I tried to see if the cooler is installed correctly like 3 times and it is.

Hey there,

What cooler do you have on the CPU? Presuming you replaced thermal paste each time you lifted the cooler to check?

Agree with @jay32267 it's not abnormally high temps for a high load, but I wouldn't think that game would push your CPU that much, so knowing the usage will help as suggested.

I'd suggest running something like Cinebench R23 on the multicore test, and run HWMon/Info along side it. You will be able to see your max temps and load whilst CB is running, and you'll know exactly where your temps are at, good or bad.

Reactions: kurdtnz

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
Hey there,

What cooler do you have on the CPU? Presuming you replaced thermal paste each time you lifted the cooler to check?

Agree with @jay32267 it's not abnormally high temps for a high load, but I wouldn't think that game would push your CPU that much, so knowing the usage will help as suggested.

I'd suggest running something like Cinebench R23 on the multicore test, and run HWMon/Info along side it. You will be able to see your max temps and load whilst CB is running, and you'll know exactly where your temps are at, good or bad.
I'm using the stock cooler,The cooler came with preapplied thermal paste. Those are the results when running cinebench https://prnt.sc/15pbrit https://prnt.sc/15pbwbm https://prnt.sc/15pbzno

those are really high temperatures right even if im running cinebench,also in task manager i see my cpu usage going to 100% but it doesnt go above 3.9 ghz.

Ah, okay, that makes more sense. With the stock cooler, although AMD's once are quite decent, they do an average job of keeping the CPU cool.

The CPU temps are a bit above where I'd be happy with them.

When you said you 'tried to see if the cooler is installed correctly like 3 times and it is.' did you physically remove the heatsink to check? If you did, you need to replace thermal paste every time. Also, thermal pastes aren't made equal. The generic stuff on stock/low end coolers often isn't very good.

I'd recommend a new cooler with some decent thermal paste, and you will see a huge drop in operating temps.

Task manager isn't great for monitoring your CPU usage/clocks. I'd stick with HWMon/Info to watch the clockspeeds.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
If stock cooler overheats I'd consider your case first, doesn't sound like it have enough airflow in the first place. When I finished considering the case then I'll consider the cooler itself

I applied new thermal paste and it runs 80 celsius with only lineage 2 playing opened,thats too high i dont know what to do
75C seems pretty decent on stock cooler running Cinebench...even 80C isn't really all that bad either. Max temp (Tjmax) is 95C for 5600X so anything up to that is perfectly safe, although to be sure you don't want to see that temp under sustained operation. In actual use for any Ryzen 2nd or 3rd gen temps in the 80's for extremely heavy load is expected, especially under stock cooling.

You like to be able to cool it enough to stay in the mid-70's, though, in order to keep it boosting at higher clocks and improve performance. But the stock cooler is barely adequate and runs pretty loudly trying to keep it there. If you want the lower temps while also enjoying a quiet PC you'll need an after market cooler: a big air cooler or 240mm AIO is going to be best. And of course good case ventilation is essential, especially so with an air cooler as they can't work well when using the hot air a GPU puts out.

Last edited:
5600 isnt exactly a toaster and stock cooler should be more than sufficient, provided the fan is actually spinning.
Yes it's "sufficient", but just. Putting a better cooler on it, one that keeps temps in the 70's during heavy work, will be almost like overclocking as it boosts higher and for longer.

But true enough that for any cooler (air especially) case and fan arrangement is indeed critical for adequate performance or can end up using the GPU's output to warm up the CPU instead of cooling it.

Last edited:

larsv8

Distinguished
Yes it's "sufficient", but just. Putting a better cooler on it, one that keeps temps in the 70's during heavy work, will be almost like overclocking as it boosts higher and for longer.

But for an air cooler especially case and fan arrangement is indeed critical for adequate performance or it's just using the GPU's output to warm up the CPU instead of cooling it.

All true, but my comment was a precursor to my main point, which is to ascertain what the case / fan setup is.

It that remains bad, it really doesn't matter what cooler he uses, he will likely have the same issue.

Aug 27, 2021
So ive got a new ryzen 5600x and the temps are going insanely up,for an old game lineage 2 im playing its running on 70-75 Celsius,is that normal? I tried to see if the cooler is installed correctly like 3 times and it is.
70-75 degrees is actually not bad. Pretty normal temperatures for the stock cooler. I have a 5600X and the stock cooler as well. Temps hover around 70 degrees. It is a jet engine though and that's why I'll be upgrading to a decent aftermarket cooler soon enough.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead