Question New Ryzen 5800X Build BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2020
Hi! I built a new gaming PC yesterday after receiving my Ryzen 5800x. Around 30 minutes to an hour after a fresh install I get a “WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR” BSOD. Once I log back in that I get the same BSOD after a few seconds every single time. It also happens while in safe mode. My motherboard is the Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI AC) and I’ve tried all three BIOS that are compatible with Ryzen 5000 series (2311, 2402, 2502). I thought it was due to enabling D.O.C.P in the BIOS for my G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb (8x4) 3200CL14 but it also happens when I run my RAM at the stock speeds @ 2133Mhz. To fully confirm that it isn’t my RAM I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics application with zero issues. Any idea of what the problem could be?

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 5800X @ Stock
Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI AC
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb (8x4) 3200Mhz CL14 (Running stock @ 2133Mhz)
Nvidia 3080 FE @ Stock
Corsair 850W PSU
NZXT Kraken Z73 AIO (Running NZXT CAM Beta @ Fixed Speeds 100% every fan, including case fans)
NZXT H710i Case
Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD
Samsung 850 SATA SSD

Every program and driver is up to date, including Windows version 20H2 which was freshly installed via USB onto my Samsung 980 Pro SSD. Sadly I would include a BSOD dump and other diagnostic data but as stated above my computer would not give me enough time before an BSOD.

Thank you in advance!

Just wanted to thank you for typing all the info out to to previous poster. My system has been doing the same thing on a b550 auros and this fixed it for now. Unfortunately there was a bios update a few days ago and still getting these errors without your fix. Shame to pay $450 for a processor that can’t run on default settings.

I'm going to wait a few months to see if a better bios comes along, if not I'm going to try and warranty the chip with AMD. I think perhaps their binning verification procedure needs a little work and my processor perhaps shouldn't have made the cut to be a 5800x.

Dec 31, 2020
Hey all,

I was able to finally score a 5800x at a local microcenter. It was an in place upgrade from my 3900x to the 5800x with nothing else changed. The 3900x and all the other parts have run stable for over a year. Not a single BSOD.

When I installed the 5800x I ran a simple stress test and zero problems. But after gaming for a little while, I started getting BSOD and it was a real bother. I made sure all my chipset and other drivers and BIOS were up to date. I went back to an older november 4th drivers and still BSOD. I know my components are good and I tried my ram as base 2133mhz speed, nada. Still had the BSOD. No overclock, I tried ECO mode and Default modes, and still BSOD.

Then I noticed while watching ryzen master software that the clock speed and voltage fluctuate quite a bit, upwards of 1.45 volts and over 4.8ghz on some cores. This is with the default settings. My guess is that the bios is just not always stable at some clock speeds matched with certain voltages as they both fluctuate up and down. AMD might have been a little ambitious when binning my CPU.

I then manually set the the clock speed of the CPU to max out at 4400mhz and set the voltage at a fixed 1.35v. All other settings were left on Default and Auto. My computer has been rock steady every since, no more BSOD. I'll wait for some future bios updates, but for now I'll stick with these settings.

Hey! I just created an account to thank you for putting this up and typing instructions out for the other people. My bios was different but it helped me figure it out.

So I just build my computer (will put the parts below in case it helps someone else) and started playing Red Dead Redemption Two on Ultra. Started getting the "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" BSOD after playing for 20-30 minutes. The crash were so reliably that I was using it to test fixes. Thought it was just RDR2 but Crusaders Kings 3 crashed the computer yesterday with the same BSOD error. Checked my RAM and Temperatures (everything within 50-65c) nothing seemed to be wrong there.

Have been searching around for issues with the GPU, but finally tried 5800x and ""WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and got to this forum post. Set my voltage to 1.35v and CPU to max out at 4400mhz and played an hour or so of RDR2 and no crashes (well beyond the normal crash points). So fingers crossed, going to play some more now for science. Will come back and report if the error returns.

Can someone explain what is causing this error, why the fix works, and why the processor is failing and should we be sending them back?

TL/DR: The fix appears to be working, but why does it work, and why is a £450 processer failing like this?

CPU: AMD 5800x
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Aorus Master 8GB OC
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B550‑f Gaming(wi‑fi)
PSU: 750W
Ram: 16 gb 3200hz

Reactions: gggplaya
Hey! I just created an account to thank you for putting this up and typing instructions out for the other people. My bios was different but it helped me figure it out.

So I just build my computer (will put the parts below in case it helps someone else) and started playing Red Dead Redemption Two on Ultra. Started getting the "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" BSOD after playing for 20-30 minutes. The crash were so reliably that I was using it to test fixes. Thought it was just RDR2 but Crusaders Kings 3 crashed the computer yesterday with the same BSOD error. Checked my RAM and Temperatures (everything within 50-65c) nothing seemed to be wrong there.

Have been searching around for issues with the GPU, but finally tried 5800x and ""WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and got to this forum post. Set my voltage to 1.35v and CPU to max out at 4400mhz and played an hour or so of RDR2 and no crashes (well beyond the normal crash points). So fingers crossed, going to play some more now for science. Will come back and report if the error returns.

Can someone explain what is causing this error, why the fix works, and why the processor is failing and should we be sending them back?

TL/DR: The fix appears to be working, but why does it work, and why is a £450 processer failing like this?

CPU: AMD 5800x
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Aorus Master 8GB OC
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B550‑f Gaming(wi‑fi)
PSU: 750W
Ram: 16 gb 3200hz

I think AMD's binning validation process needs work or they need to shoot for lower frequency targets in Agesa.

This problem also means it could be a hardware issue

It was literally just a processor swap for me, from my 3900x to the 5800x. Hardware ran great with zero issues before the swap. I'm also using a really good gold power supply, so it's clean. I've seen reports on reddit of people trying several motherboards as well.

The processor runs fine at 4400mhz, so I really do think it's a binning issues because others have zero issues on default settings. We just didn't win the processor binning lottery and have lower capability chips. The chips we have should actually be a Ryzen 5800(nonX if one existed in the product stack) with a lower base and boost clock, about 200mhz lower.

AMD should do a recall or there should be a class action lawsuit. They should also get their binning process in order.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020
It was literally just a processor swap for me, from my 3900x to the 5800x. Hardware ran great with zero issues before the swap. I'm also using a really good gold power supply, so it's clean. I've seen reports on reddit of people trying several motherboards as well.

The processor runs fine at 4400mhz, so I really do think it's a binning issues because others have zero issues on default settings. We just didn't win the processor binning lottery and have lower capability chips. The chips we have should actually be a Ryzen 5800(nonX if one existed in the product stack) with a lower base and boost clock, about 200mhz lower.

AMD should do a recall or there should be a class action lawsuit. They should also get their binning process in order.

Been stable for 5 days since the fix, all kinds of games played.

Are you going to pursue the warranty route? I was thinking of waiting until they are less rare to get and contacting AMD about it. It's messed up that some people are paying full price for a sub par product.

AMD just announced a new AGESA 1.1.9.0 version, which is supposed to help with infinity fabric overclocking and new sleep mode support, nothing about our problem. But hopefully they added some other stability improvements. Looks like it's available as beta for my motherboard, i'll try it out tonight.

Dec 31, 2020
AMD just announced a new AGESA 1.1.9.0 version, which is supposed to help with infinity fabric overclocking and new sleep mode support, nothing about our problem. But hopefully they added some other stability improvements. Looks like it's available as beta for my motherboard, i'll try it out tonight.

Awesome thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes, would be good if there was a software solution to this.

Dec 31, 2020
Ok I just tried AGESA 1.1.9.0 and I got a BSOD after 15 minutes of gaming on default settings. Mind you, ZERO BSOD when I fixed my voltage to 1.35v and 4400mhz about 3 weeks ago.

Just out of interest gggplaya, what made you decide to cap it at 4400hz and 1.35v? Did you ease it back to that. I've just noticed on the site I bought it from it's only be advertised of having a turbo o up to 4700hz and I'm sure mine was going up to 4800hz.

Do you think I could knock it down to 4700hz? Would that require a voltage change as well?

Just out of interest gggplaya, what made you decide to cap it at 4400hz and 1.35v? Did you ease it back to that. I've just noticed on the site I bought it from it's only be advertised of having a turbo o up to 4700hz and I'm sure mine was going up to 4800hz.

Do you think I could knock it down to 4700hz? Would that require a voltage change as well?

I pulled the number out of my behind :eek: lol. I thought it was a safe number well under the maximum boost of 4.7ghz. My processor will shoot up to 4.8ghz also, with default settings, but the voltage also goes above 1.45v. I wanted a safe voltage with a safe stable speed with lower temps. So 1.35v at 4400mhz seemed reasonable.

If you want to manually clock your processor, you should go through the normal overclocking procedures with voltage and frequency so see where exactly your CPU lands on the silicon lottery.

Dec 31, 2020
Ah got you, good number pulling then as it seems pretty stable!

I guess my question is, if I edged the HZ up in 50s to see what the point of stability is, do I also need to increase the voltage? Is there a formula for using so much voltage per Hz?

I've never done overclocking before, it's why I'm so annoyed that just the basic settings of the chip are causing the instability.

For science and to inform if a warranty claim is worth the hassle I wouldn't mind experimenting on what the instability point is at some point in the future.

Like I know that my temperatures were totally stable (sub 65C) even running at 4.8hz and 1.45vs,

So I'm tempted to try for example 4.7hz and 1.4v and see how stable that is. I'm just missing the knowledge of if there is a fixed link between Hz and voltage.

You could start bumping up your frequency in 50mhz increments, run a load test and run some games to check for crashes as well as temperature.

Then once you start getting crashes, bump the voltage up in 0.025 increments to see if it gets stable. Then once stable, bump the frequency up again until you max out at 1.45v or you can't get a stable frequency. Back it off to the last known stable frequency and voltage combination.

Jan 15, 2021
This fix works for me, Ryzen 7 5800x, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC.
I'm on the F11 bios (released on 12/31/2020)

Do we think this is a bios issue or a CPU issue now?

I have an option to return both the CPU and motherboard before the end of this month - If this isn't a problem with other motherboards, I would like to switch to that instead.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021
I just noticed that F11 bios was removed from Gigabyte website

@gggplaya and @StrayShotFirst
I've only been playing games these days, mostly Warzone and so I didn't technically need the extra performance. I disabled Core Performance Boost and had no crashes or hard reboots - played over 20 hrs of Warzone since Friday. Before that I could not even get through 2 games of warzone.

Dec 31, 2020

I've only been playing games these days, mostly Warzone and so I didn't technically need the extra performance. I disabled Core Performance Boost and had no crashes or hard reboots - played over 20 hrs of Warzone since Friday. Before that I could not even get through 2 games of warzone.

Yeah I still haven't run any experiments to see where the line is. Basically because of lack of free time and also because the performance on everything is where I need it to be currently.

I did have a weird issue with Adobe Rush Premiere where it pushed the CPU usage and temperature up from just trying to adjust the clip view size. Program freezes for a bit, my fans spin up to high and the temperature hits 70c which is the highest I've seen it so far. Ram usage maxes out as well.

To be honest I've done a bit of googling and I think it's an issue with Rush Premiere rather the CPU. Haven't really used it much on my only computer though so nothing to compare it to currently.

Edit: clicked send to soon, only relevant if you saw this post in the first five minutes.

I tried disabling core performance boost, but then I was stuck at 3.8ghz, which is the base clock. So I prefer AMD OVERCLOCKING to max out at 4.4ghz instead.

ripjaw_0320

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
im bothering this issue for a month now. though im busy at work and no time to diagnose my pc i tried a lot of work around but all failed. right now its seems this fix for 1.35v and 4400mhz is working with me for hours. need to test more game. i have the exact same issue while gaming 10 to 15 mins to game it crashed but when stress test both cpu ang gpu it never crashed.

Reactions: gggplaya
Status
Not open for further replies.