[SOLVED] New Ryzen 9 5900X Build DISASTER! Send Help! :(

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Just put together a new build and it's been an absolute disaster, I'm on day 3 now and my new computer
is still not up and running. I'm not new at building computers either, this is my 5th build, no other
computer I've built has been as hellish as this one.

Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Vengeance
Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB
Corsair TX850M PsU
Noctua NH-L12S cpu cooler
MSi 1070 graphics

First thing that happens when i boot the thing up is the temp going crazy, idling at 90, and CPU fan spinning at full blast, obviously
i understand that something is wrong and turn the computer off. I had not messed with the Bios, all I had done was upgrading
it to the second newest bios. Figuring I perhaps had mounted the cpu fan wrong or applied the thermal paste sloppily, I redo the
whole thing. But no, no difference. I know how to apply it, I've done this before. Then, I connect another case fan, that i hadn't
been using before (new one.) And... that upsets the whole computer for whatever the reason, not only does the case fan
not even work I can't boot the computer after that (of course me plugging in the fan may be unrelated to this), but the
computer wont boot past the "MAG" motherboard logo screen. And I can't get into either windows or bios at this point.
That dumb logo screen is all i get to see.

At this point I try to reset the bios by removing the cmos battery. I check that the sata cable is properly put in to the ssd
as well. Nothing. Nothing makes a difference. At this point I just wanna cry.. and destroy the whole computer with a sledgehammer
right afterwards.

But before I do all of that, I thought I could make this desperate plea on tom's hardware forum and hope that somebody
has an idea what the problem could be...

Solution
The latest version is called a beta version, that's why i went for the second newest bios version instead. But yeah I suppose I could try the flash bios button thing: I've never used that before tho so i would have to study up on it. But sure i could try that, the question is what version of the bios should i try... the newest, even tho it says it's a beta version? or even an older one perhaps? Come to think of it... when the computer did boot, that MAY have been with the default bios (can't tell for sure tho, can't remember..)
I would go for the newest non-beta version. The latest fully released bios version.

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
I could boot at it first and install windows and a temp program. It was on the second boot after I tried putting another case fan in this started to happen (and yeah i removed that case fan, no difference,) Yes, it said the memory was specifically compatible with Ryzen. That's not enough? I know the motherboard supports the type and speed of the memory, but does it have to be specifically compatible to the motherboard as well? Ugh.. :(

Just put together a new build and it's been an absolute disaster, I'm on day 3 now and my new computer
is still not up and running. I'm not new at building computers either, this is my 5th build, no other
computer I've built has been as hellish as this one.

Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Vengeance
Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB
Corsair TX850M PsU
Noctua NH-L12S cpu cooler
MSi 1070 graphics

First thing that happens when i boot the thing up is the temp going crazy, idling at 90, and CPU fan spinning at full blast, obviously
i understand that something is wrong and turn the computer off. I had not messed with the Bios, all I had done was upgrading
it to the second newest bios. Figuring I perhaps had mounted the cpu fan wrong or applied the thermal paste sloppily, I redo the
whole thing. But no, no difference. I know how to apply it, I've done this before. Then, I connect another case fan, that i hadn't
been using before (new one.) And... that upsets the whole computer for whatever the reason, not only does the case fan
not even work I can't boot the computer after that (of course me plugging in the fan may be unrelated to this), but the
computer wont boot past the "MAG" motherboard logo screen. And I can't get into either windows or bios at this point.
That dumb logo screen is all i get to see.

At this point I try to reset the bios by removing the cmos battery. I check that the sata cable is properly put in to the ssd
as well. Nothing. Nothing makes a difference. At this point I just wanna cry.. and destroy the whole computer with a sledgehammer
right afterwards.

But before I do all of that, I thought I could make this desperate plea on tom's hardware forum and hope that somebody
has an idea what the problem could be...
Maybe flash the bios to the latest one using the bios flashback button?

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
The latest version is called a beta version, that's why i went for the second newest bios version instead. But yeah I suppose I could try the flash bios button thing: I've never used that before tho so i would have to study up on it. But sure i could try that, the question is what version of the bios should i try... the newest, even tho it says it's a beta version? or even an older one perhaps? Come to think of it... when the computer did boot, that MAY have been with the default bios (can't tell for sure tho, can't remember..)

I would go for the newest non-beta version. The latest fully released bios version.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I agree with your assessment on that aspect. I would even point out that the one you updated to shows only "W11 compatibility' in the notes. I would not consider this would make it not able to run on W10 though.

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Yeah I know what you mean punkncat, I did get a bit paranoid when I saw it went on about the win 11 compatibility thing on that version; even tho, yeah that probably shouldn't be the issue. Even so, maybe i should try the version prior to that one just because? And with the flashback button, cause it would be the only way I could do it.

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Progress Update:

1. I tried the flashback button with an older Bios, it did nothing.
  2. I tried booting the computer without the SDD with windows installed on it.. and voila.. I'm able to get into bios! :D
In there, the temperature seems to have stabilized, no crazy up to 90 degrees immediately. But idling at 55-60 degrees.
Normal? No idea. But I know it's better than what it was before at least.
Later I reconnect the SSD and... the problem is back again... wont boot past the stupid splash screen. I'm pretty devastated... obviously something is up with my brand new SSD.... but what? Have I done something to it unwittingly to ruin it? :(
I mean it did boot before... I was able to install windows on it, if I have ruined it somehow I have no idea how I managed to do that..... :(

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Now I'm able to get into Bios with my SSD with windows on it plugged in... still stuck at that infernal motherboard bios splash screen tho no matter.... I'm so despondent at this point.... literally 3 days I've been at this.... :(

Playbahnosh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Such a weird assortment of issues, to have caused by the SSD alone...I don't know, sounds fishy. To me everything points to the mobo being stupid. Temp issues, then boot, no boot, etc.
Try another SATA port, different power lane. Do you have another computer to test components with? I doubt the SSD is causing this, but you could chuck it in another PC to see. It's a good place to start as any.

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
I somehow managed to solve it. Not quite sure how I did it, but eventually I was able to get into Bios with the SSD with windows installed plugged in. I double-checked that the boot order for the drive was set correctly, and it was, yet that wasn't it either. But at that point I was thinking, well, since I can get into bios at least at this point - WITH the SSD plugged in - maybe I can just reinstall or repair windows and see if that will do anything (Didn't think it would at this point, but I was really running out of ideas). But instead of booting from the disc, I went and downloaded win 10 on a USB stick from microsoft's site, and boot up from there... and... I just get booted into windows as if nothing had ever happened.. LMAO... didn't have to reinstall or repair it even. And from there I'm just able to boot the computer normally, without the USB stick.

Yeah.. I have no idea either. This has been the wackiest build of a computer I've done by far. And my goodness did it ever stress me out. At this point I just hurried to download and install every concievable windows update before something else weird would happen.

As far as temperatures goes to, I'm not happy, I know that this processor can handle a lot of heat and all, but it makes me nervous having the system idling at 55-70 and spiking up to near 90 just from very mild useage (such as browsing the web, watching youtube vids and installing small programs...) so I've ordered an Aio water cooler (NZXT Kraken X53 RGB) to try to get the temperatures under control tho, because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do any rendering/editing or playing any heavy games with these temperatures going on.

Thanks everyone that replied and tried to find a solution! And I will make an update when I get the water cooler installed and see how the temps turn out! :)

TRENDING THREADS