New Ryzen build. Compatibility/futureproof questions

crimsonghosttv

Prominent
Jun 8, 2018
Here’s the parts
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QK9npG

The gpu, storage, and psu are from my current build. Before I pull the trigger and upgrade will this actually work? And how well will it keep up?

I mainly use my pc for photoshop, occasional video rendering, watching streaming movies, gaming, and streaming to twitch in either 720p or 1080p

Thanks for any help you can offer and let me know if I screwed anything up :)

I just read a review of the 2700x in Maximum PC magazine. A good review, about 10% faster than the last gen 1800x CPU. As with other Ryzen CPU, it has limited headroom to overclock.

Overall, your build is OK. Just be careful on the mobo that the bios is updated for the 2700x. Or for $30-40 more, just get an x470 mobo which is the latest chipset with the correct bios. Also, I'd suggest a clean install of the Windows 10 on your SSD. Then install your Radeon GPU driver to avoid issues.

I would really suggest buying a better PSU, that particular EVGA is pretty bad in quality.

I would also suggest maybe spending the extra money and buying a full retail copy of Windows over the OEM, since the OEM is tied to your motherboard if you ever replace it or upgrade it you will have to buy a whole new copy.

There's no sure way to future proof since Intel or AMD could release a CPU that absolutely blows away previous generations and graphics cards at least for gaming almost always need to be upgraded every few years if you want to stay on the high end.

crimsonghosttv

Prominent
Jun 8, 2018

I didn’t know that about the psu. I’ve been using it for years and never had a problem. Source?

crimsonghosttv

Prominent
Jun 8, 2018

How would I know if the bios Is up to date for 2700x? Newegg listing says it’s ryzen 2000 ready.

Ryzen 2000 ready probably only means that the bios can be updated to support ryzen 2000. Most mobo manufacturers put a sticker on the box that lists the bios version. BEFORE you open the mobo box, check the bios against the bios version list on the manufacturer's website. If the bios version is listed on the website as supporting Ryzen 2000, you're OK. If not, send the mobo back or contact AMD to get a loaner CPU, so that you can update the bios yourself. As I noted, get an x470 mobo, if you don't want to deal with this issue.

on older chipset mb you have to go to the mb vendor web page there thye have two pdf lists. one for qal tested ram and another for cpu that will work. under that cpu list will be a bios rev needed for the mb to post. depending on the age of the mb some of the newer cpu the bios may be only one or two months old. if this happens you dont known the age of the newegg mb there selling. it could be in a wearhouse for a few days or almost a year. mb vendor do have pre sales support you can email them and ask by serial number when x bios was used. then ask newegg pre sales support for a mb with a serial number higher then x range. amd also for home builds now rents out older cpu is a bios update kit for free for older mb. some mb now like asus have usb flashback you dont need a cpu chip to update the bios. just a usb stick and power. on your upgrade email microsoft support with some version of windows 10 you can move it from one pc to another. on your build i would wait and get some money for a new gpu the newer nvidia gpu are going to be better cards then your older gpu is now.

crimsonghosttv

Prominent
Jun 8, 2018

this board has a combo with the 2700x on newegg
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3793260

x470 board.

seem okay?