Question New Ryzen build freezing for seemingly no reason

Feb 28, 2019
Hello, in November of 2018 I built a new system (exception being all of the storage devices, GPU and PSU). I had a habit of leaving my PC on at all times, but going to use the PC in the morning revealed that the PC had frozen, some time during the night. I decided that this wasn't too big of a problem, and just turned the PC off when I went to bed, or left or whatever. This worked fine, until recently, where the PC would freeze at random intervals. Sometimes it would take a couple of minutes, sometimes half an hour, sometimes an hour or a couple, and sometimes >5 hours. The specs are as follow:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (Stock)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 Strix (Stock)
Mobo: ASRock AB350M Pro4
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT (1x 8GB stick, 2666MHz)
SSD: Kingston SSDNow A400 (<1 year old)
HDDs: 2x WD Greens (>9 years old)
PSU: Corsair VS550 (~2 years old)

I've tried everything I can think of, running memtest86, flashed newest version of bios, underclocked ram, tried different PSU, tried GPU in different PC, uninstalled drivers properly and updated with new ones, swapped memory slots. The only thing that I haven't tried is formatting and installing windows, but I fail to see how that would help.

Sadlah

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Well you're running new hardware on 9 year old hard drives, is the OS installed to the SSD? If not you should format the SSD, install windows onto it, set it as you boot drive and then use the HDDs as your storage for everything else

logainofhades

Titan
Did you do a fresh windows install, when you put that system together? If you are using the same install, as you were using on your previous system, that could lead to a problem. Also, that PSU is not a quality unit. I would recommend changing it out for a CX550m, or better yet a CX650m, at the very least. Crystaldiskinfo is a useful tool to check the health of your storage drives. https://crystalmark.info/en/download/#CrystalDiskInfo

Also just as an FYI, you are killing your system performance, with that ram configuration.

Feb 28, 2019
Well you're running new hardware on 9 year old hard drives, is the OS installed to the SSD? If not you should format the SSD, install windows onto it, set it as you boot drive and then use the HDDs as your storage for everything else
Yes, the OS is installed on the SSD.

Feb 28, 2019
Did you do a fresh windows install, when you put that system together? If you are using the same install, as you were using on your previous system, that could lead to a problem. Also, that PSU is not a quality unit. I would recommend changing it out for a CX550m, or better yet a CX650m, at the very least. Crystaldiskinfo is a useful tool to check the health of your storage drives. https://crystalmark.info/en/download/#CrystalDiskInfo

Also just as an FYI, you are killing your system performance, with that ram configuration.
No, I did not.
I've tried disconnecting the HDDs and just using the SSD, but the computer still freezes.
I understand that it isn't, and I understand that the ram configuration is not optimal, but I got both pieces of hardware for the same reason, being that I really didn't have a choice.

Feb 28, 2019
I would start with a fresh install of windows. Backup anything you absolutely want to keep, on the other drives.
Formatted and installed Windows, still freezing. If it helps, audio still plays if I'm watching a Youtube video or listening to music or whatever. (It did this before reinstall aswell)