[SOLVED] New Ryzen build will not post

Jun 12, 2020
My new Ryzen build won't post. I tried everything and after 5 days, I'm desperate.

My specs are:

R5 3600x
Corsair RGB 16gb 3200mhz
Sapphire RX 580 8gb
ASRock B450m steel legend
Corsair 550w semi psu

When I try booting, the cpu fan spins a little and stops completely. I tried barebone building and it still doesn't work.

Solution
Your motherboard does not support your CPU without a BIOS update. In order to update the BIOS you will need a 2nd Gen Ryzen 2000 or 1st Gen 1000 series CPU. You can also take it to a shop or repair center and they can update it for you for a small fee.

Or, you can return the board and buy one that supports the 3000 series out of the box like an X570 chipset board, or any of the MSI "Max" series boards, or any Ryzen chipset motherboard with BIOS flashback that will allow the BIOS to be updated without a CPU installed.

So I found the problem. It was the PSU. The Corsair PSU I bought was defective and the fans (in the PSU) we're not spinning. So I replaced it with a spare one from thermaltake and it BOOTED and...
Your motherboard does not support your CPU without a BIOS update. In order to update the BIOS you will need a 2nd Gen Ryzen 2000 or 1st Gen 1000 series CPU. You can also take it to a shop or repair center and they can update it for you for a small fee.

Or, you can return the board and buy one that supports the 3000 series out of the box like an X570 chipset board, or any of the MSI "Max" series boards, or any Ryzen chipset motherboard with BIOS flashback that will allow the BIOS to be updated without a CPU installed.

Jun 12, 2020

So I found the problem. It was the PSU. The Corsair PSU I bought was defective and the fans (in the PSU) we're not spinning. So I replaced it with a spare one from thermaltake and it BOOTED and successfully posted. Thanks for all your help!!!

Solution
Had you already updated the BIOS on this motherboard before? Just trying to figure out how you got it to POST on a board that doesn't support that CPU out of the box, unless you had upgraded the CPU from an older model and had already installed a BIOS version that supported the Ryzen 3000 series. Because if you didn't, then there's no way that board could support or POST with that CPU installed. Not aware of any B450 motherboards coming with out of the box support for Ryzen 3000 series processors except the MSI Max models.

logainofhades

Titan
Many of Asrock's B450 boards have been Ryzen 3000 ready, for awhile now. Unless it is really old stock, most likely they have the bios update already. I bought their B450 ITX fatality, over the holidays, for a build, and it had a Ryzen 3000 ready label, on the box.

Huh. That's crazy. I was told directly by a manufacturer that they were not releasing R3 ready versions of existing B450 because doing so meant those boards would no longer be able to support some of the older or lower end CPUs like the Athlons etc. Maybe that was only an MSI thing. Perhaps that is WHY they had to release the Max series due to the limitations on the BIOS ROM size with some boards. I dunno.

I do know there are, and have been, boards with "Ryzen 3000 compatible" stickers on them that ARE "compatible" but not "ready" without an update. I wish manufacturers would release updated information indicating which of their older chipset boards are now coming with compatible BIOSes though. It's about the most confusing generational compatibility issue I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020
Many of Asrock's B450 boards have been Ryzen 3000 ready, for awhile now. Unless it is really old stock, most likely they have the bios update already. I bought their B450 ITX fatality, over the holidays, for a build, and it had a Ryzen 3000 ready label, on the box.
I’m having the same problem here. Got my Rog Strix B450f and ryzen 5 3600x but it won’t boot up. I checked the bios version with my old CPU (R5 1600) and it was up to date. You think I need to reinstall the bios update?

If you are looking for answers for your own issue, it would be preferred AND recommended that you start your own thread. We tend to avoid trying to help newcomers to an existing thread as it's considered hijacking and bad form. If the OP happens to have an answer for you regarding what ended up being the problem on their own configuration they are of course 100% welcome to offer that information to you.