[SOLVED] New Ryzen build

Phildo73

Reputable
May 5, 2017
Looking to build a new system using Ryzen 3700X and I'm looking for build advice. I have no parts that I can use currently so everything will be new minus keyboard and mouse. I am hoping to keep under $2000 CAD. This system will be used mostly for gaming with some engineering software use (think Autodesk Inventor and similar).

Any help would be appreciated

Solution
Unfortunately I'm not too knowledgeable on this stuff as it is for my son who is the gamer. I was hoping the budget I gave would help with that. IS it possible for you to give me some suggestions based on the $2000 budget. Best bang for the buck situation?

It'll depend if you can wait longer or not. If you can you can get an RTX 3070 like suggested above. but since they're not in stock at this point you'll have to wait a bit (unless you find a place where they are, which is unlikely).

But on the other hand buying an older GPU would be a waste at this point as the new cards are much much faster than the RTX 2000 series so to get the best bang for your buck it'll definitely be RTX 3070...

AMD is also coming out with the RX...

LrnzpKiller

Distinguished
Looking to build a new system using Ryzen 3700X and I'm looking for build advice. I have no parts that I can use currently so everything will be new minus keyboard and mouse. I am hoping to keep under $2000 CAD. This system will be used mostly for gaming with some engineering software use (think Autodesk Inventor and similar).

Any help would be appreciated

It might be useful to tell us more about the gaming part like: Resolution, refresh rate, what sort of games, etc. This way people can make better decisions when it comes to specific parts.

Phildo73

Reputable
May 5, 2017
It might be useful to tell us more about the gaming part like: Resolution, refresh rate, what sort of games, etc. This way people can make better decisions when it comes to specific parts.

Unfortunately I'm not too knowledgeable on this stuff as it is for my son who is the gamer. I was hoping the budget I gave would help with that. IS it possible for you to give me some suggestions based on the $2000 budget. Best bang for the buck situation?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
With that amount of money I would consider
R7 3700X
B550 Tomahawk
32GB G Skill Ripjaws
RM750x
GTX3070

This alone puts you right ~$1300 US (Newegg), so I could see throwing in a case, M.2 , as well as a nice monitor and peripherals.

LrnzpKiller

Distinguished

It'll depend if you can wait longer or not. If you can you can get an RTX 3070 like suggested above. but since they're not in stock at this point you'll have to wait a bit (unless you find a place where they are, which is unlikely).

But on the other hand buying an older GPU would be a waste at this point as the new cards are much much faster than the RTX 2000 series so to get the best bang for your buck it'll definitely be RTX 3070...

AMD is also coming out with the RX 6800 soon which might be an option (sadly its a bit more expensive than the RTX 3070) but maybe their stock will be better.

Solution

Phildo73

Reputable
May 5, 2017
With that amount of money I would consider
R7 3700X
B550 Tomahawk
32GB G Skill Ripjaws
RM750x
GTX3070

This alone puts you right ~$1300 US (Newegg), so I could see throwing in a case, M.2 , as well as a nice monitor and peripherals.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look into those parts

Phildo73

Reputable
May 5, 2017

AMD is also coming out with the RX 6800 soon which might be an option (sadly its a bit more expensive than the RTX 3070) but maybe their stock will be better.

I can wait but not sure I want to blow the budget. Isn't the base 3000 series RTX supposed to be about $600 CAD?

LrnzpKiller

Distinguished
I can wait but not sure I want to blow the budget. Isn't the base 3000 series RTX supposed to be about $600 CAD?

RTX 3070 Founders Edition is $679.99, I think you can work with it using the specs above. But it's definitely worth it over the current RTX 2000 series, especially using high refresh rates and to be future proof.
You can always go with 16GB RAM instead if this helps you stay within budget. (RAM can always easily be upgraded later on)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Anything to do with a 30xx series GPU is likely not going to straighten out before Q1 '21. I can only imagine that Big Navi as well as the 5xxx Ryzen launch will be more of the same. Just seems to be the year for it.

In this situation if it needs to be build more now than later I would sub in something like a 1660ti/super or an AMD flavor, and use the funds freed up to improve storage, case, amount of RAM, and monitor(s). Next year will present an awesome opportunity to upgrade where you see shortcomings.

As an alternative to the 3700X, it might also be worth considering AMD's new 5600X, which should be available for purchase in a few days. The 5600X should cost about the same as the 3700X, but has 6 faster cores based on their new, improved Zen3 architecture, compared the 8 Zen2 cores on the 3700X. While independent reviews are not out quite yet, it looks like the 5600X will likely offer over 20% more CPU performance per core. In some heavily-multithread tasks that can fully-utilize all cores, the 3700X might manage to be slightly faster, but that doesn't apply to the vast majority of applications and games, where the 5600X will almost certainly be the faster processor due to its notably higher per-core performance.

Probably worth asking, do you have a screen for the computer already, or are you looking to get one? The resolution of the monitor could largely influence how much you want to spend on a graphics card. At 1080p, something like an RTX 3070 might arguably be considered a bit overkill for today's games, but at higher resolutions like 1440p or 4K you might see more benefit from a graphics card in that performance range.

Phildo73

Reputable
May 5, 2017
As an alternative to the 3700X, it might also be worth considering AMD's new 5600X, which should be available for purchase in a few days. The 5600X should cost about the same as the 3700X, but has 6 faster cores based on their new, improved Zen3 architecture, compared the 8 Zen2 cores on the 3700X. While independent reviews are not out quite yet, it looks like the 5600X will likely offer over 20% more CPU performance per core. In some heavily-multithread tasks that can fully-utilize all cores, the 3700X might manage to be slightly faster, but that doesn't apply to the vast majority of applications and games, where the 5600X will almost certainly be the faster processor due to its notably higher per-core performance.

Probably worth asking, do you have a screen for the computer already, or are you looking to get one? The resolution of the monitor could largely influence how much you want to spend on a graphics card. At 1080p, something like an RTX 3070 might arguably be considered a bit overkill for today's games, but at higher resolutions like 1440p or 4K you might see more benefit from a graphics card in that performance range.

I will need to purchase monitors as well. I may downgrade the video card in the short term and look to upgrade in 12 months or so. Mostly due to initial prices and availability of product. I was toying with waiting for the new 5000 series CPU's but concerned that availability will be an issue

LrnzpKiller

Distinguished
I will need to purchase monitors as well. I may downgrade the video card in the short term and look to upgrade in 12 months or so. Mostly due to initial prices and availability of product. I was toying with waiting for the new 5000 series CPU's but concerned that availability will be an issue

I think the CPU availability won't be as big of an issue as the GPU. However, you never know in this crazy world :) . They're launching in 2 days so see if you can get your hands on one, if not you can wait a week or 2-3 and then decide.