[SOLVED] New Ryzen chip and mobo, loud wraith cooler.

hillelslovak

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 (stock Wraith Spire Cooler)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2
Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
Ram: G-Skill 2x8 2133mhz

I upgraded my system today with the Ryzen chip, cooler and motherboard. However, I noticed the Wraith Cooler is emitting a sort of annoying high pitched whirring when running. Nothing indicating a problem with the cooler, just the normal humming from running at a higher rpm. I went into the BIOS (I haven't updated it yet, is it safe to do it through Gigabytes App Manager?) and set a manual fan curve for the CPU fan, yet, it's sitting here idling at 1523rpm. Is this a normal speed for it to be idling at when it's 32-37c?

What steps should I take to eliminate this problem?

Solution
You can change your fan curve either in the BIOS or by using Ryzen Master or Gigabyte's own Easytune software.
These allow you to tweak everything including fan curves.

Whichever method you use just try changing the fan curve so that it lowers the fan speed speed at the CPU's various temperatures.
I have the same CPU and cooler as you.
My idle temp is 40c and my fan is at 20% at that temperature which is 812 RPM.
Each PC is unique though as airflow differs and everyone has different temperatures which vary massively so just find a setting that suits yours.

Also changing fan curves means sometimes they will get louder as above 50c mine is set to spin a lot faster when you browse the internet etc.

The upper temperature up...

hillelslovak

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Well, I have no exprience with the Gigabyte bios but i can tell that Ryzen Zen 2 is just so new, please be patient to be fix with upcoming updates.

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you perhaps clarify your statement? Is this a known issue with Ryzen 7 chips, or the Wraith Spire cooler? Should I maybe try a 3rd party app in windows to perhaps set a new fan curve for the CPU and see if that does the trick, or would updating the BIOS be the solution?

Gedikpasha

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply. Could you perhaps clarify your statement? Is this a known issue with Ryzen 7 chips, or the Wraith Spire cooler? Should I maybe try a 3rd party app in windows to perhaps set a new fan curve for the CPU and see if that does the trick, or would updating the BIOS be the solution?
You can set the down the manually with 3rd party software just check the temps when you get lower rpm. Updating bios may help but i really dont know. There are not so much topic about Ryzen 3xxx series so we'll see that its a known issue or not. Some people are complaining about overheating. In 2 weeks all the bugs will gone ( i hope).

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
You can change your fan curve either in the BIOS or by using Ryzen Master or Gigabyte's own Easytune software.
These allow you to tweak everything including fan curves.

Whichever method you use just try changing the fan curve so that it lowers the fan speed speed at the CPU's various temperatures.
I have the same CPU and cooler as you.
My idle temp is 40c and my fan is at 20% at that temperature which is 812 RPM.
Each PC is unique though as airflow differs and everyone has different temperatures which vary massively so just find a setting that suits yours.

Also changing fan curves means sometimes they will get louder as above 50c mine is set to spin a lot faster when you browse the internet etc.

The upper temperature up to 75c and lower fan speed % should be locked out by the BIOS and software to stop you bringing the CPU fan to a stop at idle or allowing it to run less than 100% at a temperature of 75c.
These protect the CPU from accidental user intervention that can fry it!
If for some reason you are able to bypass these limits I strongly suggest you do not attempt to lower your minimum fan speed below 10% which on mine is 236 RPM and your upper % do not have anything less than 100% at 75c.
Again, don't panic at all as these are generally locked out of the user's adjustable range and for a very important reason.

I have the bundled stock Wraith Prism Cooler and it has a small switch on it marked L/H.
In the H (high) setting the maximum RPM goes up to 3800 if it is at 100%.
This is great for gaming where you need good cooling so I leave it on high.
It is a bit louder on this setting but it rarely gets to 100% for long and still idles at 236 RPM so doesn't affect the lower speeds.

Solution

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I think the new fans can spin up to 1000rpm higher than last generation, because the copper part of the heatsink has been removed.
Still you should be able to fix that with your fan curve seetings.