Question New Ryzen CPU and thermal compound - use what's on the included HSF, or use something else?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
All,

Okay, well, I admit it, it's been an embarrassingly long time since I dealt with thermal compound between CPU and heatsink - though the system I did for someone else recently was just "stick included Wraith Spire with its pre-applied goo onto the CPU" which works.

I've ordered a Ryzen 5 1600, and it comes with the Wraith Spire. Should I just use the already-applied stuff? I do have a tube of Arctic Silver 5, but while I've only used a little of it thus far, and is capped right now, it hasn't been touched in 10 years... though I know silver doesn't go bad or anything.

Would I be better off sticking with what's stuck onto the Spire already, or clean that off and use the Arctic Silver 5? Or . . something else?

All,

Okay, well, I admit it, it's been an embarrassingly long time since I dealt with thermal compound between CPU and heatsink - though the system I did for someone else recently was just "stick included Wraith Spire with its pre-applied goo onto the CPU" which works.

I've ordered a Ryzen 5 1600, and it comes with the Wraith Spire. Should I just use the already-applied stuff? I do have a tube of Arctic Silver 5, but while I've only used a little of it thus far, and is capped right now, it hasn't been touched in 10 years... though I know silver doesn't go bad or anything.

Would I be better off sticking with what's stuck onto the Spire already, or clean that off and use the Arctic Silver 5? Or . . something else?

The pre-apply thermal compound is perfectly fine.

Reactions: GarrettL