New Ryzen PC - FPS Drops and Slow - Memory Problem

Oct 22, 2018
Hey!

I just built a new pc to simply get a better performance overall and stream here and there but I feel like something is not right the way it works.
It sometimes just feels sluggish and playing games like Fortnite is sometimes unplayable because of the FPS drops.
I pretty much play every game on the lowest settings and sometimes even with a lower resolution but in Fortnite especially it's pretty bad on this setup for me.
And I feel like it must be my memory settings?

Setup:
Ryzen 5 1600 (boxed cooler)
G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 RAM 3000 MHz
PowerColor Red Devil RX 570 4GB
MSI B350M PRO-VDH
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB
Toshiba DT01ACA 1TB
be quiet! System Power 7 500W

I have the latest driver for my GPU and the BIOS seems up to date aswell since I tried to scan it with MSI Live Update.
I also activated the second XMP profile in my BIOS to get my RAM close to 3000 MHz.

BIOS Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/ZqTXj7q

But on CPU-Z it's still has the frequency of around 1066 MHz.
It tells me aswell that it's working on Dual Channel. So that's fine?
I also tried to disable the XMP profile and manually adjust the speed but it's still the same.
Might this be the problem?

CPU-Z Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/Drkm63n

Temperature seems fine aswell.
CPU is around 30-45 C and GPU can go up to 60-70 C (is that too high?) while gaming.
On BIOS I have Smart Fan on and pretty much everything on defaul on AMD's settings.
I also installed MSI Afterburner to adjust the fan speed but doesn't really help.

Any help would be appreciated!

Oct 22, 2018

Yeah that's what I figured out now.
I had to disable XMP though and manually set the MHz frequency and the timings.
But I was only able to get it up to 2800 MHz right now. 2933 MHz isn't able to boot for me.
Maybe the timings are off but I don't really know what to use there.
Currently running at 2800 MHz with 16-18-18-18-36 and Voltage is 1.35.

Especially on the first generation Ryzen processors, not all of them are going to reach 3000 Mhz. Actually AMD doesn't even rate them that high. The latest BIOS version should help.

System Memory
System Memory Specification
2667MHz

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1600

The best solution if possible is to return that processor and exchange it for the R5-2600 (the second generation version of the 1600).

Oct 22, 2018

BIOS should be up to date. Atleast that's what MSI Live Update is telling me.
I bought the R5 1600 only because it was on sale and thought that it might be worth to switch from Intel to AMD.
I mean with these specs gaming on 1080p or even in lower resolutions and the lowest settings should be fine anyway, no? I will keep an eye out if it works better now since I got the RAM to 2800 MHz.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Did you check to see that memory is on the mobo compat list? It matters with first gen in particular.
Also, make sure you have loaded the latest BIOS that applies to first gen, at the least. In some cases the mobo manufacturer will make a note as to which not to pass without having issues.

Oct 22, 2018

It's on the list.
BIOS should be up to date as well atleast that's what MSI Live Update is telling me.
I set up my RAM manually now and it's running with 2800 MHz without any problems now.
I will see whether the overall performance is going to be better with that.
But playing on the lowest settings in games should be fine with these specs, no?

That is true. The Ryzen processors tend to be more picky on the RAM.