Question New Ryzen system 85C idle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 13, 2020
Hello,

I just bought a new system, Ryzen 3900x with stock cooler, 64gb Ram 3200, Asus Prime B450 Plus, power supply Corsair 850W. I have a big problem from the get go, the system doesn't boot up. It shuts down after a couple of seconds. The cause is the temperature, already in bios the cpu temperature goes in the red zone. I don't know what to do, I mean I could send it back but it comes from overseas and I can't really affort the time to wait for it. So that would be the last resort.
Any idea what's going on and if I could fix it myself?
Thank you!

Nov 13, 2020
The voltage fluctuates strongly as shown Ryzen Master, between 0.4 and 1.3 or so at peak. That tells me nothing btw. I have no clue about this stuff. Is there any way to keep it under control? Lower it manually?

But if the socket or CPU are damaged, then it wouldn't start, I presume, isn't it?
-you are right on this.
Anyway, I don't like how Argus cooler are made.. these "clamps" for fixing just don't look secure enough in my eyes.
3900X is an excellent CPU and it sure deserves/needs something better than SU-800.

Ryzen master shows a voltage fluctuation from 0.4 to 1.4 but that tells me nothing. Should I lower it manually?
Change nothing until you don't solve CPU cooling issue (62°C in idle is way too high!).

Nov 13, 2020
Ok, so I had a friend come by with some no name cooling grease. Now the system stays at 43-50 degrees in idle and goes up to 60-64 by normal tasks- installing software, downloading, browsing textures, normal photoshop routines etc. Still a big problem by rendering, and i guess this won't be solvable without a new cooler. Which is going to happen next week.
Thanks a whole lot guys, super community!

AMD CPU don't work like Intel CPU. The Cores goes to sleep when you're at idle and only 1 core will be working. Let's say you open a program when at idle. That single core will spike which mean that your idle temperature will spike to ~60C in a fraction of a second and go down again. My 3900X do the same thing. All the Ryzen CPU's do the same thing.

A lot of Intel people building their first Ryzen system ask about why the CPU is idling at let's say 35C and spike to 60C and if it's normal. It is. :)

With a good CPU cooler your CPU should be idling at around 35-45C. Mine is at 32C right now but it's really cold in the room and I have a Dark Rock Pro 4. Not the best air cooler but it's a good one.

In Windows those spike will make the CPU cooler fan rev up and down non stop if you do not set a custom fan curve for that cooler fan. So if your CPU at the moment go up to 60-64C with these spikes you put your fan curve to be more aggressive after 64C. So when the system is below 64C the fan won't go crazy rev up and down and up and down non stop.

What CPU cooler are you gonna buy?

Nov 13, 2020
Hi guys,

so I have great news. I just installed the Noctua NH-12S ( thank you Maramsp for recommending that cooler, it's amazing) and the temperature in idle is 29C. I stress-tested the system with Prime95 for a half an hour and the temperature never went over 47C. With Keyshot the temperature goes a bit higher, but it doesn't exceed 65C with any wicked scene I threw at it ( tested multiple scenes and let the render run for at least 30 min each). So, thank you guys, I am very relieved!

Nov 13, 2020
Ah, ok, indeed it was "Blend all the above". I will test this asap and keep you posted. Anyways, the system stays very cool compared to before and I am very happy with the results with my primary tools, which are all 3D.