[SOLVED] New ryzen upgraded PC constantly black screen restarting, no errors other than error 41

Dec 27, 2018
Had this PC for about a month, only worked properly for the first week I had it.

While idle or doing low power tasks like internet browsing, it will freeze then black screen restart. The time between the restarts varies, as it can sometimes be 20 minutes, but other times it will be 30 seconds. Often it will freeze again in the boot sequence, and I will have to either press reset or hold the power button to restart. This will also happen in BIOS, usually after around 20 seconds. However, if I give it a task to do, like running a game or benchmarking, the PC will stay on just fine. When under load it will not crash, only when at idle or almost idle.

The specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X 3.60 GHz (Core Performance boost is enabled by default in BIOS, so this runs at around 4 GHZ)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
PSU: Corsair TX 750M (Was 500W Thermaltake PSU when problem started)
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 AMP!
RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000Mhz
Storage: 1 x Western Digital M.2 SSD, 1 x 2 TB 7200 rpm HDD, 1 x 500GB Laptop HDD

I have been trawling through many Toms Hardware posts from people with a similar issue, trying all of the solutions I have seen. So far I have:

- Replaced CMOS battery (Stopped problem for day, then came back)
- Tried to run MemTest86, however it seems to crash before it can do one pass, so i have no results from that
- Re seated RAM and GPU
- Replaced my power supply with a 750W supply as my wattage calculator told me I was very close to the limits of a 500W PSU
- Re seated all power and reset button wires
- Turned RAM X.M.P profile on and off, no difference with either setting.

It will consistently crash in BIOS, but when i have been able to change settings I have disabled C-States, changed an idle setting to "Typical-Idle Power" and turned "Core Performance boost" on and off, all with no change.

Event Viewer shows nothing other than an "The last shutdown was unexpected" and an Error 41, with nothing for 3 or 4 minutes before the reported "unexpected shutdown" time.

CPU temperatures are not too high, going up to around 70 - 75 degrees under intensive load.

Currently my only temporary solution is to run a game in the background whenever the PC is on. This is not an ideal solution, and a couple of times the pc has instantly crashed on exiting the game. From what I have read elsewhere a permanent solution is to replace my motherboard, but that is going to be a costly replacement for me and I want to reach out to see if there are any things I may have missed that could be causing the issue.

I have until the 31st January to send the Motherboard, CPU and RAM back to Amazon.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
My bet is that the motherboard is bad, likelihood in excess of 99%. In the past 18 months I had to work with 6 Ryzen boards, 3 of them were bad, ranging from DoA to random BSOD or black screens, etc. etc. Didn't matter which brand either, Asus, AsRock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. etc. And every other day on these forums you keep seeing this kind of problems over and over. It just seem that there is some seriously bad quality control going on.
Are there any updates bios files for your board? If so, try flashing the bios. Also, since the issues sounds like it happens when not under load, have you checked and.com? They have chipset drivers for the boards. If I recall, they also set up a new and ryzen power plan in the control panel.

Another thing you could do as a test, set the power plan to high performance and to never sleep.

If you are running 2 sticks of ram, maybe try a single stick and see if you keep getting errors. You might try to run memtest on each stick one at a time to see if you get errors on one particular stick.

Dec 27, 2018

There was a BIOS Update released 2 days ago, but I am worried about flashing it as I havent flashed BIOS before and if it crashes while flashing will it render the board unusable? I installed the Ryzen chipset drivers when the problem started and they didn't help.

The power plan has been set to high performance and to never sleep since I built the PC. I will try running memtest with single sticks and will post results.

Dec 27, 2018

I formatted my old windows HDD and reinstalled windows onto my M.2 drive when I upgraded.

Dec 27, 2018

I'm not sure what you mean

It will crash constantly in BIOS, more frequently than when I can get it into windows.

Dec 27, 2018

I'm thinking that's the only solution I have left to try as it crashes in bios too.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
My bet is that the motherboard is bad, likelihood in excess of 99%. In the past 18 months I had to work with 6 Ryzen boards, 3 of them were bad, ranging from DoA to random BSOD or black screens, etc. etc. Didn't matter which brand either, Asus, AsRock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. etc. And every other day on these forums you keep seeing this kind of problems over and over. It just seem that there is some seriously bad quality control going on.

Solution
I guess I've been fortunate. Both of my asrock boards have been good this far. I know that the salesman at the microcenter I purchased the first asrock from recommended then because he said he'd seen fewer returns on those boards. That was only a few months after the first generation launched though.