New Sabertooth 990FX Build with lots of Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuriso

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hello everyone. I hope I can get some advice on problems I'm having. 3 days ago I got the components for building my new system. Here is the build:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB Ram DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC (from old machine)
2 brand new Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s drives
Ultra x3 1000w psu (from old machine)
Running windows 7 x64

For the last 3 days I've been struggling to get things to work right. I've had to do 3 fresh installs. Here's a list of the problems I'm having:

- Random shutdowns with no errors or warnings (factory defaults and slight over clocks and tweaks for memory configurations)
- Newly installed programs going corrupt after 1 reboot
- Check disk errors
- "Recovering orphaned file..." errors
- Files vanishing

Below are details of the biggest problems I'm having.

Completed assembly of new machine and installed win7. I could run the WEI and update the score for my new build. Everything went through great. 7.0-7.5 on everything but my data transfer. No SSD so only a 5.9. I stated installing programs and began to notice the problems. The first major issue was with my security suit ESET went corrupt. I like to manually config my firewall permissions. I stopped being able to get online with some of my newly install programs. I wasn't getting the popup for allowing access. I tried to get into the interface but couldn't. I tried to end task and could do that either. I would restart with the same problem. Spent hours on it and decided to wipe it clean again and started over.

After completing the second install of windows 7, I tried to do the WEI test again and it failed at "Media Decoding. Instant shutdown with no error, no BSOD, no nothing. I try to load a game and I get instant shutdown. I've had to reinstall a game system folder 10 times because I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't load. There is not an overheat problem or anything weird like that. I'm monitoring that to make sure. I can work on it normal all day long but its like anything heavily GPU related gets shutdown.

I've tried multiple drivers from different source. It doesn't matter. I've done a little looking and some say its a video card and others say its driver related. I posted on a forum that supplies tweaked graphics drivers for some potential help on the possible GPU/Driver problem. I get the first response with normal questions about my config and clock settings.

My answer:
I've tried stock and slightly overclocked nothing major. Only setup the OC to try and set the ram timings properly. By default this board doesn't see the ram as a 1866. Everything was stock when I did the second install. Just now out of the clear blue I got a shutdown. I was only on firefox searching for other solutions. Straight shutdown. No errors but this time I got a check disk error and ton of "Recovering orphaned file..." then on boot up MSN Messenger gives me "...\Windows Live\Shared\wlidux.dll is not designed to run on windows" LOL WTF. It was running before the shutdown

Next suggestion was to reinstall windows again and to make sure I set my slight OC to default.

I wanted to play around with this problem a little more and do some other research online before I started over again. I decided to go ahead and install a different security suite. ESET didn't install right the first time plus I was nearing my renewal so I went and downloaded a different suite. Once installed I needed to restart for the program to take effect. I had canceled the reboot and was going to do it in a minute. I was looking at the interface and out of the blue I get a shutdown. No errors, no warning just a black screen and a reboot. Once I'm back to the desktop I get popups that the installation was unsuccessful and files are corrupt. That's three different programs now. How can that be?

I make sure that all the BIOS configs are default and start the process of doing my third install of win 7.

Completed 3rd install. I have 2 brand new Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s drives setup. One is the main drive with the win7 OS and the other is my general backup drive. Since I had already downloaded drivers and other programs needed, I copied over all those to the secondary drive. I verified I had everything. About 15 applications and different files to keep safe when I do this fresh install.

I make the new installation of win 7 and start to use the 2nd drive (drive D) for installing the drivers. After 3 drivers I noticed some files disappeared. I closed the backup file window (drive D) thinking it was just a screen glitch and reopen the window and now I only have 4 files. ONLY 4 files OMG! 10 or 11 files vanished! So I close the window again. Reopen "my computer" I see the "C" drive is maxed out on memory (red bar) says "1.84GB free of 981 GB" (took a picture with my phone). WTH LOL all it has on it is the operating system. So I close the file window again and reopen my computer and memory is back to normal but my missing files are still gone. I decide to restart thinking maybe it was a small screen glitch caused by the drivers I just loaded. Once I start to boot up I get a check disk error for drive D which is the one that was missing files. Runs through the check but no bad sectors so I don't know what the deal is. Files are still missing when I get back to the desktop. I re-download and install the drivers and get the machine to a clean working state with no extra programs, nothing weird, just the basics, I run the WEI test. Same shutdown.

I used a different set of video drivers this time which was different from the previous ones tried on the other win 7 installs. Same problem. Once WEI gets to media decoding I get an instant shutdown. Whats really strange though, if this is a GPU or driver problem I would think that the 3d test that Kombustor from MSI provides would cause the crash but it doesn't. That fussy 3d "MSI" test pulls more from the card than the media decoding. It will run as long as I feel like running it.

So anyways with all this happening, does anyone have a suggestion for what might be the problem. I need to be able to contact NewEgg and start returning parts or something. Monday will be 5 days I've been messing with this and 5 days I haven't been able to work on any of my customers jobs. Even though my previous machine was unstable I knew what was going on and could at least depend on it to work without worrying about loss of data. I can't do anything with files disappearing or programs going corrupt.

Is it a hard drive problem? GPU/Driver problem? Maybe a motherboard/bios problem? Could it be the whole system? Ultimately I have to either start RMA'ing parts or order replacements and I have no idea which to do or what parts to do it to.

I'm just at a total loss on this. I have never had these problems happen before. I have no idea where to start or what to test. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Again I'm sorry for the long read but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. Thanks a bunch!!

kuriso

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
aah I never thought about a WD diagnostic tool. I've never needed one.

I had thought about memtesting but I didn't think the problems were ram related. I'll check that tomorrow, well today but I hadn't gone to bed yet. So in a few hours. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run memtest and post results asap.

**Edit**
I had forgot that memtest needed a CD. In this new build I don't have a cd drive. I thought the one in my old machine was a sata powered one but when I took it apart it wasn't. I hadn't ordered a new one yet. Is there a similar program that works with a thumb-drive? If not I'll go pick one up today.

Ok first of all, don't overclock or play games until you get your machine stable.

Did you install your motherboards chipset drivers right after installing windows?

Forget ESET, just install Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free, and that will eliminate ESET being a problem.

Before you bother testing the ram, manually configure your ram voltage, speed and timings in bios. (this is likely the problem), if it's not seen as 1866, then likely the voltage and timings are incorrect too.

kuriso

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I didn't get to make it to the local shop before they closed today. I will get my butt over there first thing in the morning to pickup a cd drive to properly test the ram.

rolli59, I ran the WD testing for my C drive and the computer crashed before it could finish. I ran it again earlier for my D drive and it found bad sectors but crashed before it finished trying to fix them.

GeekApproved, most of this time I've been running straight OEM configs. On one install I did try tweaking the bios for the ram but that didnt fix the problem. I may not of had the settings perfect though. After the above crashes I sat down today and redid the bios configs for the ram. Currently I'm about 2 1/2 hours into a custom prime95 run with 71% ram used (11.63GB). Not a single problem. If this continues I'll go back to testing the drives. Becasue of the bios configs I have just a slight OC of 3.418 compared to the stock 3.3. Its as close as I could get it.

iam2thecrowe, if this prime95 run ends bad I'll try those settings and let you know.

Thanks again everyone for your ideas. I'll let you know how the prime95 ends and please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!!

PokikiV

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Considering that both new hard drives may be defective (it has happened), are you able to use the one you had on the previous computer? If you could install the OP and drivers on it, it could help to rule out the new HDD's as problems.
I'm not sure whether you can connect the boot drive to any SATA port, or if you need a specific one (I still have a good few things to learn about building a rig). If you can use any port though, you could try different ones to rule out the possibility that a few SATA ports are defective.

Rockchester

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I have been experiencing the same problems-- random/intermittent restarts while running with my newly built system. These restarts occur regardless of system load or activities (idle, surfing the web, document editing, playing games).
I currently am running the following system:

+AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz

+Sabertooth 990FX

+(2x) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

+ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner

+EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0

+XION AXP Lan-Party 1000W PSU

+Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SATA III

+(3x) Seagate Baracude 1 TB 7200.12 HD

+Antec 902

I have replaced the PSU with an Antec 750W, run memtest86 on the memory, utilized only the SSD or one of the regular HD, run the video card in another system overnight (Crysis benchmarking at nearly 100% load). All fans are running, ensured system stays cool. Problem still occurs for each configuration.
I RMA'd my original Sabertooth 990FX, as this was the last thing to change, but the new board has the same problem! I found these two reviews on Newegg, which seem to indicate I'm not the only one seeing problems:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-736&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=2&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo (User WeeBee review, 7/16/11)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-736&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo (User N/A posting 7/22/11)

I'm really at a loss of what to do as well, aside from blaming the CPU (but I would imagine an error with a CPU is incredibly rare, as they test the hell out of them in the fabs).

seca400

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
you just need to go into advanced bios - advanced settings - northbridge - memory settings - change ecc to disabled

i have this issue, I have let asus know about it, their support person is so useless she sees no problem with the bios defaulting ecc to enabled.

your system will run much better after this. however, everytime the cmos settings reset you will have to change this.

seca400

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

HAHAHAHA too bad the tiger direct sales guys get a huge commission when they sell this crap!

kuriso

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Update: After several tests and getting feedback from Asus and still having issues I RMA'd the board and both drives. One of the drives stopped registering as a drive. I constantly had check disc errors and got tired of messing with it and returned them.

iam2thecrowe: This PSU is a little over 3 years old now but I haven't had a bit of problems. I never even got close to using the power it could output. It may have ended up being a bad PSU brand but at the time it had good reviews and was a nice clean modular design. Since I've had all these problems with this new build I've wondered if it could be a problem so I've ordered a new one.

PokikiV: I needed to keep my old drives safe. This new mobo actually corrupted one of my backup drives but I was able to recover my important stuff with a good piece of software. I ended up going and getting a Seagate drive to test since both of these were having issues. The SATA ports 1 and 2 on the Asus board went dead. The no longer seen the new drive as a bootable drive after I installed the OP. I plugged it into a new SATA port and it worked just fine. The new drive and new SATA ports ended my check disc problems and data corruption. I think the SATA ports were to blame the whole time but who really knows.

iam2thecrowe: It is hard powering off. Out of the clear blue it shut down and rebooted. Didn't really matter what I was doing at the time.

Rockchester: Wish I could help. I sent my stuff back for replacement. It will be here late tomorrow. I'll repost once I get backup and going.

seca400: I didn't know about the ECC setting. I'll give that a try when I get back up.

Anyways I was able to get it running fairly stable before I shipped it back. The tweaks did allow me to successfully complete a WEI test. I ran it 6 hours with 92% of my 16gb ram used on prime95. No problems. I could of kept going but there wasn't a point. If I tried to load a game it would instantly shutdown. I wouldn't get past the loading screen of the game before it would shutdown. Shutdowns, bad drives, and the dead SATA ports made me decide to ship it back.

Tomorrow I get the new board and new drives. I have a new PSU here and ready to go. The only thing left to possibly replace is my 560 Ti graphics card. Other than that this is a brand new system. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

kuriso

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Ok I've been working with the new components all weekend. All previous problems have been fixed and the machine runs really well. I guess I was just unlucky enough to get a bad board that cause my drives to go bad too.

seca400's suggestion for "you just need to go into advanced bios - advanced settings - northbridge - memory settings - change ecc to disabled" fixed my shutdown problems. I haven't had a single problem since.

The only problem, if you would call it a problem, is I get a lag sometimes when opening a file or trying to close a window. There could be no cpu usage and 85% of ram free and still have a lag. Its really annoying. I can open a file, say my documents, which has like 5 text documents in it and it will have to process this. I get a green progress bar across the top as it loads the file with only 5 small text documents. Why is this??

Anyone have a suggestion for this? I've updated windows. I've made sure all my drivers are up-to-date. I'd really like to know because I've never had a problem with this. Could it be a CPU problem now? My old, POS, and unstable 790I Ultra with a Q6600 never had a problem opening up a simple file.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's help and advice!

ogger151

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

I had games that would crash and cause my computor to reboot. Fear3 would reboot my system the minute the game loaded and crysis1 and crysis2 would play for 3 or 4 minutes and crash/reboot my system. I was ready to give up on windows7 64bit. I tried changing ecc to disabled as you suggested. Problem solved! Thank you very much for your info.
If it wasn't for these forums and your info I'd be stuck calling that girl a Asus tech support!

mrtiwaz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Helloh :)

i also have loats of problems with my PC its 3 days old

set op

AMD phenom 2 x6 1090T cpu

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX

kingston 16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Classified 1280MB

Corsair HX 1050W PSU

corsair force serie 3 SSD 120gb Serial ATA-600

Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB Serial ATA-600

problem:

6 times bios reboot to **no proper boot device** and then it finds and loads windows 7.

white flash going across the screen when pc goes from ** starting windows** to the blue windows WELCOME screen**

game failure/crash : battlefield bc2 the pc goes alll white screen but background noice in the game is still working.

world of warcraft : error crash 24/7 or PC total blackout.

APB reloaded : wired insane laggspikes.

problems updating windows/error

wired noice when the pc is shotting down/static headset sound for 2 sec.

omg im going insane from this endless problem solving !

please help?

please tell me if my hardware is not really supporting each other

fuzzykiss

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

dude..start your own post.

3VOLUT1ON

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Hello!

I have the same MoBo, but I run a FX8150 cpu.
no ssd here either... :p

Do you have a legal copy of windows 7??? If not... me and some friends ran into some problems with WIN 7 that is cracked. :(
It seems that windows has updatet and made it harder to use an illigal version of their OS.
We also experienced that files became corrupt, and drivers stopped working... pretty sure it had to do with the illigal copy of win7!

Finnaly, we changed 2 a different WIN 7, and followed the instructions closely and precise... ;)
NOW everything is smooth, and problems GONE!!! :D

I am realy satisfied whit ASUS - Sabertooth 990fx rev.2! Lot`s of power and funtionality for a low price... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.