[SOLVED] new samsung 970 evo plus m2 ssd causing stuttering in games

weabole

Prominent
Sep 15, 2018
i installed my new 970 evo plus m2 ssd and now im getting microstutters in games randomly. this happens in almost every game i play like rainbow six siege, and gta 5.
i only moved rainbow six siege and csgo to my new M2 ssd. the other games stay on my samsung 860 evo sata ssd. but any game on both ssds have these stutters for about 1-2 seconds freezing and then goes back to normal. pretty annoying. its set to ahci mode on bios and idk what to do. when i installed i did clone my original ssd to the new m2. nothing is damaged, did tests and theyre running very good

Solution
The cloning probably failed - it can happen.
You attempted to clone the OS, right? You'll have to try reinstalling the OS on the M.2.
Also, make sure you install the driver for the new drive. Keep in mind too if you have both drives running at full speed, it can suck up a lot of SATA bandwidth. So if you also have HDDs on SATA, that can affect your performance if there aren't enough SATA ports left to actually run both SSDs at full speed.

Lastly, make sure you leave 15% free space of the actual not advertised space. This is necessary for even solid state drives to run properly.

Your MB manual should have full info on what NVMe speeds (x2, x4) use SATA port wise, and it's also way easier for us to respond intelligently on such things if you list your full system spec in your sig.

Last edited:

weabole

Prominent
Sep 15, 2018
Also, make sure you install the driver for the new drive. Keep in mind too if you have both drives running at full speed, it can suck up a lot of SATA bandwidth. So if you also have HDDs on SATA, that can affect your performance if there aren't enough SATA ports left to actually run both SSDs at full speed.

Lastly, make sure you leave 15% free space of the actual not advertised space. This is necessary for even solid state drives to run properly.

Your MB manual should have full info on what NVMe speeds (x2, x4) use SATA port wise, and it's also way easier for us to respond intelligently on such things if you list your full system spec in you sig.

i have enough space on every disk including the m2, and installed the driver. here is my specs though:
i7 9700K (Noctua NH-U14S Cooler)
MSI Z390 A Pro Motherboard
EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16 GB DDR4 (25600) Ram
Corsair RM850x 850 Watt 80+ Gold Power Supply