[SOLVED] New Samsung 970 Pro and old drive

Sep 30, 2019
Hello,
So I recently purchased a new Samsung 970 Pro. I cloned my old hard drive ( 840 EVO SSD) and migrated it to the new 970 Pro hard drive. I really want to keep my old 840 EVO as an extra hard drive and want to format it which will remove the windows on it. Of course I can't remove the information off the old EVO 840 SSD while on my desktop because you can't remove Windows while in operation. I tried running both hard drives at the same time to see if I can remove everything through finding the unallocated hard drive through disk management, but the computer favors the 840 EVO over the 970 Pro when it boots up and doesn't even show the Samsung 970 Pro in disk management or even on my BIOS `due to collision. So how do I wipe out my old hard drive without going on the desktop ? Can I do it through BIOS ? Thanks

Sep 30, 2019
You need to set the 970 Pro as the boot drive via the BIOS. Once that's done then you can format the 840 normally.
Hello and thank you for the response but sadly
I can't because BIOS doesn't detect my 970 Pro as a bootable device (both drives have the same Windows). If I unplug the old SSD then BIOS will automatically detect the 970 Pro as a bootable device and launch to Windows. If I plug both hard drives in then the 970 will be automatically be cancel out and won't even show as a bootable device in the BIOS boot options which immediately favor the old SSD as the bootable device . I'm trying to get the 970 to be detected as my bootable device over the old hard drive while both are plugged in so I can format the old SSD drive through disk management. Only two things I can think of is I have tweaking to do on BIOS to get the BIOS to favor the 970 over the old SSD which I don't know how to do or just format the old SSD through BIOS which will bypass the favoring the old SSD since windows won't be on there anymore.

TRENDING THREADS