[SOLVED] New Samsung Evo 860 1TB performing worse than 850 Evo 500GB

Igor Sena

Commendable
Apr 14, 2017
Hello, everyone:)

I am very puzzled by this:

A few days ago, I bought a Samsung Evo 860 1TB to substitute a Samsung Evo 850 500GB.
This is a drive dedicated to vst's, plug-ins and drum samples only. The Evo 850 500GB only had about 20GB(bad thing to do I know) so i decided to upgrade in order to give me more peace of mind with the extra space and room to add more sample libraries in the future. So i deleted an OS partition that the previous owner had set) about 50GB) and expanded the drive i order to get the full storage. I then copy pasted all my stuff(instead of cloning the drive), changed the drive letter, went into my DAW and pointed to the new drive. Because some projects wouldn't load(because I changed the drive letter) i had to revert to the same letter the previous drive had. With the exception of a few plugins/vst's that needed re-registering everything went fine, except this new drive is alot and i mean hdd like alot slower in terms of when i load a vst or a plug-in in my daw. It used to take me about 3-4 seconds to load an instrument and now it takes 12-13 secs everytime. Even in empty DAW templates where i load a very light vst. It takes forever while the DAW is telling me it's searching for the specific thing I am loading.

I have read somewhere that the 1TB drives are slower or that ssds are slower at first due to how they work but this did not happen with the previous drive and its very slow, specially for a newer model, so i wanted to ask more experienced and/or knowledgeable people what's your opinion and if you have any suggestions for me to find out what might be wrong.
Every benchmark i do in Samsung magician gives me speeds of around sequencial 555 reading, 526 writing and random 89,843 reading, 84,228 writing, AHCI is activated, Trim as well, Rapid mode is off like it was in the previous drive. The drive also shows as good and i am also using the same SATA port as my previous drive.

I have thought about doing a secure erase but that's something I would only do as a very last resort because re-installing every single vst and plug-in would take forever.

My apologies for such a long post. English is not my main language so I did my best to explain myself.

Thanks in advance for your time:)

Solution
Those perf numbers show the drive is performing well so it is not the problem. I think that the complicated disk set up, with deleting, copy/ pasting/changing letters back n forth, took its toll.

Igor Sena

Commendable
Apr 14, 2017
Things just got a little stranger: I decided to disconnect the Evo 860 from the current SATA III Port(same the 850 Evo was in), disconnected my HDD and connect the 860(drive i am having problems with) to that SATA III Port and it fixed the slow loading issue. It´s even a second faster than the 850 when loading stuff in my DAW. Then, i decided to connect to the SATA III Port i had my cd reader/recorder in and it became even slower. All of the 4 SATA III ports on my motherboard are 6gb.
So it must be the SATA III cable i am using on the 860 because when connecting it to the HDD SATA III cable it fixes the issue.

Strange thing is: the previous samsung evo (850) was connected with this cable and had no issues but the 860 has them.

Any ideas why that could be?

USAFRet

Titan
I think it's just the way you have the software and paths on that drive.

"sequencial 555 reading, 526 writing and random 89,843 reading, 84,228 writing" is very much normal and to be expected for an 860.

I have an 850 and 860, both 500GB, and they perform just about identical.

"I have read somewhere that the 1TB drives are slower or that ssds are slower at first due to how they work"

Not true at all. Any of that.

Igor Sena

Commendable
Apr 14, 2017

Hello, there=)

Yes, all speeds in terms of write/read are normal; so is the health, etc

I also suspect so: if i go in device manager and check the events on the drive, it says it was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. So far, all the solutions i found online haven´t fixed the issue.

What´s even weirder and i can´t explain, is how changing the SATA cable(not the drive letter, just swapping cables) fixes the issue. How can the SATA cable on the 850 work and on the 860 make it slower but only when loading stuff on my DAW?

EDIT/UPDATE: It is probably as you suspected.

I changed cables between my HDD and the Evo 860 just to see if it was the cable after all. Turns out it´s not. So this issue only happens when i have my HDD and the 860 connected. If i disconnect my HDD and go into my DAW; the 860 loads something in 2-3 seconds like it should.

I don´t know if it was my copy pasting that messed up something in the file system or registry or something. My setup is : one SSD for OS; one HDD for regular storage and one SSD for music related stuff. However, some of the virtual instruments or plugins have files that are shared between the SSD and the HDD (built by the developers to works that way) and i can´t change them because it would mess up paths and create other problems. I think when i copy pasted from the previous music related drive(850 Evo) something must have gotten messed up and when the HDD is disconnected the 860 probably bypasses all the searching it does for 12-13 secs and loads things faster.

With all these tests i made by changing cables, etc, it´s almost certainly a problem caused by my bad handeling when moving things out, otherwise the original drive where i had all that stuff would have the same slowing down when having the HDD connected at the same time.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or should I buy a USB pen and do a secure erase and re-install everything? I would hate to do that because it's hundreds of things. Between downloading everything again and installing it would take forever.

You say

I also suspect so: if i go in device manager and check the events on the drive, it says it was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. So far, all the solutions i found online haven´t fixed the issue.

That non migration event does not reflect performance. It is an enumeration anomaly based of Windows protocols. I have had it for several drives that run perfectly. I upgrade the drives from time to time. One now is a 970 with the non migration as an event. That non migration event's information, at the second item,records one of the previous drives, no longer attached.

Notice that the events go from first to last in time and that's top to bottom. So ," not migrated", then "configured", then "started."

The important performance factor is at the General Tab, Information, on Status, that the drive is/is not working properly.

Regarding that cable, you're on your own. Too weird or user error, I can't tell which. lol

Igor Sena

Commendable
Apr 14, 2017

Hey =)

Thanks for the information.

I changed cables between my HDD and the Evo 860 just to see if it was the cable after all. Turns out it´s not. So this issue only happens when i have my HDD and the 860 connected. If i disconnect my HDD and go into my DAW; the 860 loads something in 2-3 seconds like it should.

I don´t know if it was my copy pasting that messed up something in the file system or registry or something. My setup is : one SSD for OS; one HDD for regular storage and one SSD for music related stuff. However, some of the virtual instruments or plugins have files that are shared between the SSD and the HDD (built by the developers to works that way) and i can´t change them because it would mess up paths and create other problems. I think when i copy pasted from the previous music related drive(850 Evo) something must have gotten messed up and when the HDD is disconnected the 860 probably bypasses all the searching it does for 12-13 secs and loads things faster.

With all these tests i made by changing cables, etc, it´s almost certainly a problem caused by my bad handeling when moving things out, otherwise the original drive where i had all that stuff would have the same slowing down when having the HDD connected at the same time.

Any suggestions on how to fix this, so I don't have to buy a usb pen to do a secure erase and have to re-install hundreds of things?

Igor Sena

Commendable
Apr 14, 2017
I finally solved it.

I completely deleted the plug-in database; deleted all folder search paths on my DAW, then remade them and it worked.

I don't even know how is it possible that the ssd was only slow when my hdd was connected. With the exception of very few files unrelated to what I was trying to load, they had no relation to each other whatsoever. Only reason I can find is that when I did the first copy pasting I disconnected the hdd and connected the new ssd to that SATA port. Maybe that confused the pc or the daw into thinking something was on that hdd and whenever it was connected it created conflict.

Weird issue but I am glad it's resolved because re-downloading, reinstalling and registering everything again would take me months.

Thank you all for your efforts.

TRENDING THREADS