New Samsung Notebook Battery Won't Power Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

rts007

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
My wife has a two-year-old Samsung notebook. Recently when she unplugged it the machine cut off, even though the battery said 79% charged (it wouldn't charge any further). I figured that the battery was bad so I bought another one from Amazon.

This one charges to 100% percent and does exactly the same thing. I'm perplexed but think there's something going on with the motherboard that won't let it use battery juice, even if Windows 8.1 says it's 100% charged.

I've tried the hold the power button down for 1 min with the battery out trick to no avail.

Any ideas? I'm stumped and think I might need to get her another notebook.

Thanks, Robert

Solution
With the laptop off take out the battery, plug the charger in and hold down the power button for 30 seconds til it reboots then put the battery back in ... and it should start charging properly. You should be able to do this for both batteries.

Then run the lappy with a battery in it until it is down to about 20 % ... then plug the charger back in and top it up to make sure it is ok.

Do the same for both.
With the laptop off take out the battery, plug the charger in and hold down the power button for 30 seconds til it reboots then put the battery back in ... and it should start charging properly. You should be able to do this for both batteries.

Then run the lappy with a battery in it until it is down to about 20 % ... then plug the charger back in and top it up to make sure it is ok.

Do the same for both.

Solution

rts007

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Reynod - I can't quite do what you ask the Samsung turns itself off when you hold the power button down for more than a few seconds. So it starts up with the power button being held down (and AC power plugged in), the Samsung starts to boot and then shuts down. I let it boot and it's still a non-usable battery.

rts007

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Pins look good. I also cleaned them with a little rubbing alcohol...

Status
Not open for further replies.