[SOLVED] New Samsung SSD EVO860 slow in desktop pc. (Acer Aspire X3990)

Feb 1, 2019
I installed a SSD in my fathers acer aspire x3990 desktop pc.

I cloned the partition where windows was installed to the new Samsung SSD EVO860 250GB, and afterwards i took the old harddrive out because only one drive could fit in motherboard because the dvd-burner-drive(the motherboard only has 2 sata slots, one for hdd and one for dvd).
(i think it has 2, 2.0 sata slots [3GB/s])

I have used Samsung cloning software. The computer is still just as slow as before at startup, i tried using samsung magician software and clicked on the RAPID technology, it did not help on the startup.

I tried using the benchmark tool in samsung magician and before i clicked the RAPID on the sequense thing was on about 270 read / 240 write or the other way around i cant remember, but with RAPID on it says 1370MB/s Read / 1061MB/s Write, so alot higher, and random IOPS was also way higher afterwards also. But it did not help to make the pc start or load faster.

Under device management it says at IDE ATA/ATAPI-controller, Standard SATA AHCI-Controller.

The computer i believe has 2 3GB/s SATA slots(sata-III).

My question is should'nt the pc be alot faster at startup with the new Samsung SSD than with the old HDD?

I cloned the new SSD with the MBR options. Should it have been GPT instead? i didnt think so because it is only 250GB.

BIOS sata disc is set to AHCI.

I have bought EaseUS Partition Manager, because i thought about changing it from MBR to GPT, but i dont know if it will help, or if i should Format it and do a clean install of windows on it instead?

All help would be very much appreciated, i dont know what to do. (i have some photos i took of the screen, but i dont know how to uplad them from my pc).

Solution
The benchmark you see with RAPID mode looks great. But it is mostly just reading the speed of your RAM.
That's what RAPID mode is...it uses a chunk of your actual RAM as a cache for the SSD.
I tried it for a while. Saw no actual user facing benefit. So I turned it off.
No reason to have it running if its not going to actually do anything.

It can even make boot time a little bit slower, because it has to write a bunch of data to the RAM as it starts up.

If your SATA interface is SATA III, thats all the SSD needs.

You say the system takes "too long" to boot up, but you've not given up any numbers to work with.
And that startup time is also dependent on what applications you have that start when you turn the system on.
Feb 1, 2019

Thanks for a really quick answer.

What do you mean with benchmarks are a mirage? i ran benchmarks but i dont think i can upload a photo of it.
(i can write what benchmark says)(RAPID on)

READ - WRITE
Seq: 2814,65 MB/s - 1985,02 MB/s
4K: 27,95 MB/s - 42,69 MB/s
4K-64Thrd: 120,98 MB/s - 128,35 MB/s
Acc.time: 0,178 ms - 0,090 ms

Do you know what i can do to get the SSD to work, or to get the pc to start up faster with the ssd?
drivers/cables/bios settings etc.? im sorry if i ask a dumb question.

I really dont know what to do anymore to get it to work, but if the RAPID options dont help anything i will just change it back to off again when i go visit.

thank you so much for your time

Feb 1, 2019

Thanks you for you quick answer.

(in AIDA64 pgrogram at the ssd disc it says -
interface - SATA-III
interface data speed - 600 MB/s)
so i thought it was sata-III ? my mistake thanks for your information.
(ahh its propaly the ssd and not the motherboard interface, sorry)

it is not something about the driver in disc management with IDE ATA/ATAPI AHCI-controller that needs an update?
it just says standard SATA AHCI-controller. can i do something about that, that might help?

Or is it really true that it cannot help with the new ssd on the startup time of the system?
it did not help at all.

thank you so much for your time, and im sorry if i sound dumb.
i appreciate all your help very much

USAFRet

Titan
The benchmark you see with RAPID mode looks great. But it is mostly just reading the speed of your RAM.
That's what RAPID mode is...it uses a chunk of your actual RAM as a cache for the SSD.
I tried it for a while. Saw no actual user facing benefit. So I turned it off.
No reason to have it running if its not going to actually do anything.

It can even make boot time a little bit slower, because it has to write a bunch of data to the RAM as it starts up.

If your SATA interface is SATA III, thats all the SSD needs.

You say the system takes "too long" to boot up, but you've not given up any numbers to work with.
And that startup time is also dependent on what applications you have that start when you turn the system on.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
It would depend on what is slowing down boot. If there are a dozen things that get loaded automatically, it can be slow. If it is a slow DHCP server or a long time in the BIOS, an SSD won't change that.

That PC has an i3 CPU from 6 years ago. It will never be fast, by current standards.

Feb 1, 2019

Thanks for your really good information about what RAPID is.
i read somewhere i dont exacly remember where but i believe it was SATA 2.0 ports the motherboard has.
i will for sure turn of RAPID again.

i just talked to my dad, he says it takes about 43 seconds to startup.
he does'nt have that many startup programs.

Antivirus, and not really anything else.

USAFRet

Titan

"43 seconds" on that 6 year old system is not terrible, or "too long".
My current i7-4790k, 500GB 850 EVO takes about 32 seconds. About 1/2 of that is simply waiting for the BIOS to do its thing.

43 secs would be about average for a system such as yours.
You have to be cognizant of what you're measuring. Whatever the BIOS is doing is not affected in any way by what drive is in the system.
Your drive and windows is only taking about 30 seconds to do its thing.

Feb 1, 2019

i just talked to my father again and he says that he now actually can feel real a differnece and he is happy about the 43 seconds.
(But right when i installed the ssd for about a weeks time ago it was alot slower than the now 43, can it get faster just by being in the computer for about a weeks time?).

i just took time on my own system startup time, it took about 36 seconds till i could see the desktop and about 1:30minute till everything was loaded, and i have a Acer Predator G3-605 with 20GB Ram.

So you are absolutely right, it is really OK for a computer like his.
again Thank You alot for your time answering my questions and helping me.
Now also i got a bit wizer :) . bye and thanks :)

USAFRet

Titan

That was some software in there doing that.
AV scan, OS updates, or similar.