New SATA HD not recognized

JeepTech

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I have an Asus K8V-SE board I'm trying to install a new WD SATA drive. The bios does not recognize the drive connected and enabled as an IDE to SATA1 connection on board. The Maxtor that I took out was connected in the same way (it won't boot due to a viruse that hosed the OS) is recognized by the bios as IDE channel 2. What must I do to get it to recognize new drive so I can install OS?

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Your motherboard only supports SATA 150MB/sec transfer rates, while the WD drive supports up to 300 MB/sec. Most of the time, the two devices are supposed to auto-negotiate to the common speed they support, in your case 150MB/sec. However, there are chipsets that don't do the negotiation properly, and the drive will try to run at 300 MB/sec, and your board won't see it.

Go to Western Digital's web site and find the specifications/manual for your WD hard drive. There is a jumper you can install on 2 pins on the back of the drive that will force the drive to operate at 150 MB/sec. After you install this jumper, the drive should work fine with your motherboard.

JeepTech

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
SomeJoe - You're awesome!
The WD drive is a Caviar SATA II and does require a jumper between pins 5 and 6 to slow it down.
Thanks for the straight steer.