Question New SATA SSD is causing laptop to crash?

Mar 30, 2020
I bought a new 1TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD for my wife's laptop (1.5 year old Dell Inspiron 14 2-in-1 5481) to use as secondary storage since her OS is on a small NVMe SSD and she wants more storage space. The problem is ever since I installed it the laptop has been completely crashing after 15-30 minutes of being powered on.

Everything goes black. No blue screen or anything. It just immediately shuts completely off without any warning and you can't turn it back on until you unplug the power cord and put it back in. The SSD works perfectly the whole time the computer is actually running, but something about it is causing the system to crash.

I have removed the SSD and confirmed that this fixes the issue. I have updated the drivers, SSD firmware, laptop BIOS, and made sure windows is up-to-date but nothing has helped.

I have tried two different drives of the same model from Crucial and they both had this issue. I also tried an old 2.5" Hitachi mechanical hard drive I had laying around and confirmed that that drive does not cause any crashing.

I also tried putting the new Crucial drive in my desktop and it had no issues. Could this drive just somehow be incompatible with the laptop? Is there something I'm missing?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS