[SOLVED] New Seagate 2TB HDD making squeaky noise ?

Fakhri2020

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
I just got new Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD to replace my 1TB Seagate Barracuda that failed after only using it for 8-9 months. Now this new 2TB HDD is making some noise when I'm opening CrystalDiskInfo.

Note: Put your volume all the way up (https://voca.ro/166sNRsfEawg ) I describe the sound like a high pitch squeaky noise I guess. Also, sometimes it also make the same sound randomly (very rarely though) for half a sec.
I really don't understand what to see in CrystalDiskInfo that is important but it says that my HDD is in a good health. Hard Disk Sentinel also confirmed that my HDD is in a perfect condition. I'm just paranoid that this new HDD will fail soon since my last HDD just failed suddenly and I bought the same type of HDD but the 2TB version.

Some screenshot of the information that CrystalDiskInfo provided:
https://snipboard.io/fmWZNv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I would highly suggest keeping an eye on those number with every bootup. Also, make sure you've got a backup of the content you're storing on the 2TB drive if they are critical since the warranty is on the drive, not the data that's on the drive. The squeaky noise you speak of is something I've been experiencing on a near decade old 1TB laptop HDD, that's after just using it as a storage drive, not a boot drive.

Like I said, keep an eye(on seek error rate) and ear on it, make sure data is backed up.
Any hard drive can fail at any time....so make sure you have a backup.
....and I can rarely hear recordings (or people's problems) well enough to determine anything.
....although....as was said....HDs are expected to make some noise.
If you have a backup.....there isn't much risk and I'd leave it be if the noise wasn't too obnoxious...and see what happens,

Lutfij

Titan
I would highly suggest keeping an eye on those number with every bootup. Also, make sure you've got a backup of the content you're storing on the 2TB drive if they are critical since the warranty is on the drive, not the data that's on the drive. The squeaky noise you speak of is something I've been experiencing on a near decade old 1TB laptop HDD, that's after just using it as a storage drive, not a boot drive.

Like I said, keep an eye(on seek error rate) and ear on it, make sure data is backed up.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
My experiences with Seagate HDDs has not been good, they all suffered premature failure so I avoid them now.
By contrast, I've had 3 x WD HDDs for over 10 years and they are still giving sterling service.
Conversely, the only HDD I've had fail recently was a WD...;)

Drives die. All of them, eventually.
All one can do is prepare for that eventuality.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

USAFRet

Titan
Of course I realise all drives die ---- but 3 of the same brand in less than a year ?
I'd be crazy to keep buying that brand, even if other people's experiences are different to mine.
Understand completely.
Just pointing out that there is no real difference between the HDD brands.

Every time, someone will come here looking for a recommendation. "What is the most reliable?"
Punter A will state WD SUX!!
Punter B will come back with Seagate is the worst!!

In reality, there is no more than a percentage point or two diff, and NOT across all models of a particular brand.

Me? I just do my continual backups, knowing that some storage device WILL die. No matter who makes it.

Fakhri2020

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Any hard drive can fail at any time....so make sure you have a backup.
....and I can rarely hear recordings (or people's problems) well enough to determine anything.
....although....as was said....HDs are expected to make some noise.
If you have a backup.....there isn't much risk and I'd leave it be if the noise wasn't too obnoxious...and see what happens,
Thank you for the reply! but could you listen to the audio again with the max volume possible? maybe you can recognize the sound.

Fakhri2020

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020

So your old laptop HDD was making that noise for near a decade or it made that noise near a decade of use?
Okay, I will keep an eye on seek error rate but honestly I don't really understand what number is bad. Is my current seek error rate is in a state that I should be worried about?

Fakhri2020

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
My experiences with Seagate HDDs has not been good, they all suffered premature failure so I avoid them now.
By contrast, I've had 3 x WD HDDs for over 10 years and they are still giving sterling service.
My experiences is similar to yours. My last HDD was also Seagate that only used for storage for only 8 months or so and it died suddenly and now I just bought this new drive that haven't even been use for a month and I'm already worried about it. If this one fails, I guess ill RMA it and try WD HDD. What WD HDD do you recommend for videos that is 5 - 10 GB + and to store some of my games?

Fakhri2020

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Understand completely.
Just pointing out that there is no real difference between the HDD brands.

Every time, someone will come here looking for a recommendation. "What is the most reliable?"
Punter A will state WD SUX!!
Punter B will come back with Seagate is the worst!!

In reality, there is no more than a percentage point or two diff, and NOT across all models of a particular brand.

Me? I just do my continual backups, knowing that some storage device WILL die. No matter who makes it.
I found this very interesting tbh. But just out of curiosity, what HDD brand you use to store your important data?

USAFRet

Titan
I found this very interesting tbh. But just out of curiosity, what HDD brand you use to store your important data?
Multiples.
Currently, in or attached to my NAS, a collection of Seagate, WD, Toshiba.
Literally, brand agnostic.
12 drives, 65TB.

The key concept is to have more than one copy of your data.
Highly unlikely that ALL of those would fail at the same time.

My experiences is similar to yours. My last HDD was also Seagate that only used for storage for only 8 months or so and it died suddenly and now I just bought this new drive that haven't even been use for a month and I'm already worried about it. If this one fails, I guess ill RMA it and try WD HDD. What WD HDD do you recommend for videos that is 5 - 10 GB + and to store some of my games?

Can't recommend any particular one l as I'm not up to speed on current models -- hardly surprising since I haven't had to replace one for 10 years.
Just remember, if you use one for backups you need more than one in case one fails. I have 3, all containing same backups.