[SOLVED] New Seagate Exos 16TB hdd making noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
I just got a new seagate Exos 16TB hdd and sometimes I hear it making noise. Its like a low clicking buzzing noise. Sometimes it will start then go away. I haven't had any issues with crashes or data lose so far. There doesn't seem to be any specific task that makes the drive noisy. Is this a cause for concern or is it normal?

Solution
Hard drives have moving parts in them so its not necessarily uncommon to hear noises coming from them. Different hard drives can also have different noises and with some you might not hear any noise at all unless you're really close to them.

There's also this quote from Seagate's website on their hard drive noise:
Normally, the faster the drive motor spins, the higher-pitched the resulting sound will be, and there is a greater chance of a low hum. Most drives do not make noise that is audible to most people, but there are a few exceptions.

It is also normal for the drive to make sort of a "chattering" or "clicking" sound while it is reading and writing data. Also, some drives occasionally run off-line scans, resulting in...

Furzumz

Reputable
Hard drives have moving parts in them so its not necessarily uncommon to hear noises coming from them. Different hard drives can also have different noises and with some you might not hear any noise at all unless you're really close to them.

There's also this quote from Seagate's website on their hard drive noise:
Normally, the faster the drive motor spins, the higher-pitched the resulting sound will be, and there is a greater chance of a low hum. Most drives do not make noise that is audible to most people, but there are a few exceptions.

It is also normal for the drive to make sort of a "chattering" or "clicking" sound while it is reading and writing data. Also, some drives occasionally run off-line scans, resulting in similar sounds even when the drive is not actively reading or writing.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I'm not by any means a hard drive expert but from personal experience I've had my fair share of "audible" hard drives and not a single one broke on me as of yet.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS