New, Seeking advice

kris142b

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
Hello all. A few years back I gave my brother a budget and told him what I wanted in a PC. He made a list of components, I ordered them and built my first PC. Now a few years later I'm looking for a little more. I'm seeking advice as to what I should do to optimize my performance and overall appreciation for my system.

Currently I have AMD 8350 8-core cpu, msi twin frozr 7850 2gb gd5, and asus m5a97 motherboard, corsair cx600 PSU, corsair 8gb ram and WD Blue 1TB HDD, running windows 10 with recent formatting of HDD.

I'm seeking to get more out of this computer for both every day use, as well as gaming. I want an over-all smooth performance with high levels of detail in every game I play (who doesnt). I am NOT a hardcore gamer but I can still appreciate high speed performance and superior graphic performance. I am mostly into first person shooters, most of which rely heavily on graphics performance (BF series, mass effect, etc). I would also like to get into flight and drift/race simulators. When I first built my PC it seemed to perform a whole lot faster than it does now. It seems like it struggles with simple tasks which seems kind of odd and uncharacteristic and I really want something that I can expect to perform at it's best at all times.

I know the easiest way to improve performance would be to upgrade current components one at a time until I am at a level which I am pleased with. Would it be more worth while to get together the funds and start a new build all-together? If not, what should I upgrade first? Any ideas on articles/websites/etc where I can learn more and formulate my own educated opinions on what I need? My budget will grow as every paycheck comes in if starting a new build is my best route, however I personally do not see any reason to spend ~$700 on something like a GTX 1080TI GPU, I'm looking toward more practical options.

On a semi-related note, I've heard that it may speed up performance by freeing up space if you install and run your OS on a separate drive such as a SDD. Is there any truth to this? Is it worth giving a shot?

Thanks for all answers and information!
Kris142b

Solution
Assume you play at 1080p, you better wait. Either a more normal price GTX 1070 or an actual released Vega 56 at MSRP and not inflated price due to purported rumoured hash rate will serve you mighty fine. GPU is always the MOST important part of a computer , even if you have a Pentium bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti, you will still outperform a Ryzen7/i7 with a mid tier card like GTX 1060 or Rx 480.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Assume you play at 1080p, you better wait. Either a more normal price GTX 1070 or an actual released Vega 56 at MSRP and not inflated price due to purported rumoured hash rate will serve you mighty fine. GPU is always the MOST important part of a computer , even if you have a Pentium bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti, you will still outperform a Ryzen7/i7 with a mid tier card like GTX 1060 or Rx 480.

Solution