Question New self-build - Intermittent BSOD

Apr 26, 2020
Hi all,

First time self-build gaming rig here. Got my system all set up last week and everything was great, but a couple of days ago started getting BSODs on certain games (and sometimes just browsing on Chrome).

These are the stats:

MB: Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU: i5-9600K at factory clock speed
RAM: 4 x 8GB Corsair 2400Mhz RAM
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
Storage: 2 x Crucial M.2 1TB SSD
PSU: Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold Semi Modular Power

I've updated all drivers and the BIOS and run memtest which passed without exception.

It may be a coincidence, but this only started happening after I had problems with my integrated wifi controller, which I eventually fixed.

The system has never really run under stress, and temps are all good from what I can see.

The BSOD code is MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, so assuming it's a hardware problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kohota

Apr 26, 2020
The RAM, was it from a single kit of 4x8gb of made up of separate kits or individual sticks? 4 sticks of RAM stands out as a possible cause of stability issues, it’s more likely when running 4. Try running 4 passes of MemTest https://www.memtest86.com/

2 separate kits with 2 sticks each. Same brand, same clock speed.

I ran memtest overnight as it took about 6 1/2 hours to check all four sticks. As I said, no errors at all, so I was going to cross it off my list. Do you think it's worth running again?

Apr 26, 2020
Ok, so I removed one of the kits so now just 2 x 8GB @2400Mhz.

Same problem. I've managed to find an easy way to reproduce the crash on one of the games I play. There's no specific trigger, but after a couple of minutes it will crash.

@Calvin7 I wasn't aware the CPU supported a specific RAM speed. I used pcpartpicker and it didn't suggest any incompatibility problems. This is my list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4VVdzN

Apr 26, 2020
I think I may have answered my own question... I clearly missed the compatibility warning on pcpartpicker.

The aorus pro has an additional 4pin ATX socket that delivers an additional 12v, but the Corsair TX650M doesn't have the additional 4pin supply...

I'm guessing this is why it's fine running at very low load, but cutting out as soon as there's any stress at all?

Apr 26, 2020
Regarding the wifi, the adaptor just stopped working one day. So I deleted and reinstalled the driver and it seemed to solve the problem. I mentioned it as it's the only thing really that changed from a hardware perspective since last week, and a few days before I'd managed to hammer a good 8 hour session of M&B: Bannerlord on ultra-high settings.

Downloaded the Crucial tool box - says both SSDs are up to date.

Yes, both the SSDs have been connected since I first put the rig together.

Happy to attempt a full strip-down and reassembly if I can't get to the bottom of it. Is there anything I need to consider when disconnecting the heatsink from the CPU? Do I need to remove the thermal paste and reapply? What's the best way of doing this?

Apr 26, 2020
So, an update on measures taken so far...

I've done a fresh windows install. Same crash.

Gone down to a single stick of RAM. Crashed at the same time as the others, but weirdly didn't BSOD this time. Just hung until I turned the damn thing off.

I ran another benchmark and, again, all came out fine.

I'm still not sure why my second M.2 isn't showing up. As I say, it's in diskpart but not in explore. I don't want to mess around with it in diskpart in case I accidentally brick it...