Question New Self-Built PC, FPS drops in multiplayer games

Jul 7, 2022
Hi all,

I'm new to this whole process. I previously had a laptop and when it died I decided to take the plunge and build my own PC. Everything went fairly smoothly with assembly (my brother, who is a novice but has experience, helped me put it together) but I've been having performance issues. In certain multiplayer games (so far I've noticed Fall Guys and The Forest, both on Steam) have FPS drops when I'm grouped up with other players. In other multiplayer games such as Valorant I don't appear to have this issue- I'm getting upwards of 300 stable FPS. So why would I be getting such severe FPS drops (it goes down to 6 FPS sometimes) in a game like Fall Guys, a game that I had no trouble running on my ancient laptop? Considering I'm new to this, I'm worried I did something wrong. From what I understand, both Fall Guys and The Forest are poorly optimized, so I wonder if they may be exposing some issue with my build that other games might be compensating for.

Here are my specs:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16.0 GB
Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite Motherboard
GPU - ASUS ROG Strix NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060
OS - Windows 10 64 Bit
PSU - evga 210-gq-0750-v1
BIOS - F64B
SSD - Sandisk SSD Plus 1TB
HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Internal Hard Drive
Case - Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case

Let me know if I left out anything important.

Troubleshooting attempts:

-Trying different GPUs (I tried my brother's 2070 super and suffered the same FPS drops even though his PC does not)
-Resetting OS
-Downgrading OS (I started on Windows 11 and downgraded to Windows 10 from installation media. No FPS improvement)
-Wiping GPU drivers with DDU and installing a billion different drivers (I'm currently using the latest recommended game ready graphics drivers by Nvidia)
-Checking the cooling (GPU and CPU never go above the low-end of recommended temperatures)
-Observing the task manager while running Fall Guys (GPU 3D usage hits 100%, not sure if that's weird? But my CPU usage never seems to go much higher than 30%. Also not sure if that's weird)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU - EVGA 750W Semi Modular
EVGA is the brand of the unit while 750W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Can you please mention the model of the PSU by EVGA?

BIOS - F61
Your motherboard has a number of BIOS updates pending. Please gradually work you way to the latest BIOS version like so:
F62>F64a>F64b

OS - Windows 10 64 Bit
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Wiping GPU drivers with DDU and installing a billion different drivers
Only download the latest driver from Nvidia and once done with DDU, install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Reactions: nuclearchickenz
Jul 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU - EVGA 750W Semi Modular
EVGA is the brand of the unit while 750W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Can you please mention the model of the PSU by EVGA?

BIOS - F61
Your motherboard has a number of BIOS updates pending. Please gradually work you way to the latest BIOS version like so:
F62>F64a>F64b

OS - Windows 10 64 Bit
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Thank you so much for the warm welcome :)

The PSU is confusing me a little, evidently. The full name is evga 210-gq-0750-v1. Hopefully that's the model name you're looking for!

As for the BIOS, how do I go about updating it? Is that something I can do from the BIOS itself? I'm going to work on this now.

The installer for my OS is a Windows 10 x64 installation disc purchased from Microsoft.

Jul 7, 2022
Okay, progress! I've sequentially updated my BIOS to the newest version using a USB drive and installers via gigabyte's website. Unfortunately, this made no difference re: my FPS drops, but it's good to be up to date. Thanks for letting me know!

I also wanted to mention that I am currently using the latest NVIDIA Geforce game ready graphics driver. In attempts to troubleshoot the last few days I tried rolling back to an earlier driver and also trying their studio drivers, but to no avail.

Lutfij

Titan
The full name is evga 210-gq-0750-v1.
This is what comes up for me;
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0750-V1
Bought brand new, correct?

The installer for my OS is a Windows 10 x64 installation disc purchased from Microsoft.
If you're able to get back into OS GUI, can you take a look at the version of the OS? Right click Start>System>the version should be at the very bottom. Evidently, you can just recreate your bootable installer using a pen drive and Windows Media Creation Tools. The license key is now tied to your motherboard BIOS so you don't need to input it when installing the OS.

Link to said ram kit? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Jul 7, 2022
The full name is evga 210-gq-0750-v1.
This is what comes up for me;
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0750-V1
Bought brand new, correct?

If you're able to get back into OS GUI, can you take a look at the version of the OS? Right click Start>System>the version should be at the very bottom. Evidently, you can just recreate your bootable installer using a pen drive and Windows Media Creation Tools. The license key is now tied to your motherboard BIOS so you don't need to input it when installing the OS.

Link to said ram kit? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Correct, that is the power supply and it was purchased new from Amazon.

My OS version specifications are:

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎7/‎6/‎2022
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Hopefully that's what you're looking for. I've reinstalled the OS several times now with no change so I'm fairly certain that isn't the cause of my FPS drops.

Here's the RAM kit I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D1XCKWW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

They're populating slots 1 and 3 from left to right (did I say that correctly?)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Correct, that is the power supply and it was purchased new from Amazon.

My OS version specifications are:

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎7/‎6/‎2022
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Hopefully that's what you're looking for. I've reinstalled the OS several times now with no change so I'm fairly certain that isn't the cause of my FPS drops.

Here's the RAM kit I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D1XCKWW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

They're populating slots 1 and 3 from left to right (did I say that correctly?)
Run this and post a link to the results.

Close everything else out before running it.

Jul 7, 2022
First thing to do is go into BIOS and enable XMP profile for the memory.
Your memory is running 2133 instead of 3200.

Edit I think your memory should be in slots 2 and 4 going left to right. Check the motherboard manual.

Okay, XMP profile successfully enabled! I also checked my motherboard manual and it didn't make a point of using 2 and 4 over 1 and 2, but I moved them over anyway just to see what would happen. Here's my updated results:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53743791

Unfortunately, this didn't stabilize my FPS drops at all. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks again for the support, everyone :)

Jul 7, 2022
FPS drops are normal in multiplayer games, even in single player, when the number of "actors" multiply. How many players on when you go down to 6FPS ? Also why HDD what function does it have ?
Hi! thanks for your reply :) I am playing ‘The Forest’ with 3 other people, and my fps drops from 130 to about 5-15 FPS when I’m near them. I understand a performance drop is expected in these situations, but my friends have equal or lower specs than me with no lag. I’m not an FPS snob, but it’s really unplayable… lowering the graphics settings has almost no effect.

I produce music and have a lot of large sound libraries that I like to keep on an external hard drive- I thought the HDD would be convenient. I don’t boot any games from it, though. I install all my games on the SSD.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Ok about the SSD, that's what I needed to know, you're good on that.

Next you want to check your sync settings, if your monitor is capable, set your vertical refresh to 120hz or 144hz.
In your drivers and in your games Disable V-Sync, old tech. designed for 60hz monitors that will probably virtual cap your FPS.
Enable in drivers Enhanced Sync (AMD GPU), Fast Sync (Nvidia GPU) the new fast & adaptive v-sync..
You can test it uncapped, if it runs too fast, set an FPS cap to 120 or 144, the number you set your vertical refresh at.