New setup: more powerful-than-average PC

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I'm currently assisting a purchase of an above-average computer to be used in more heavier computational math - but a cheap one, nonetheless.

I was thinking about:

ZALMAN CPU cooler - CNPS7000B-Cu
ZALMAN ATX 400w ZM400B-APS Power supply
Athlon 64 3500+
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
2GB Corsair TwinX Platinum Heat Spreader memory (XMS)

Other components are still to be decided. These are the central ones. Any interesting comments or suggestions?... Are these Zalman components as good as I'd expect them to be?...

Thanks in advance.

Gimperific

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Looks good to me. What are you thinking for graphics card? 6800GT?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gimperific on 10/06/04 07:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Is it necessary to have 2Gig of RAM???

And I don't think it's worth to buy high-end memory, will it overclock this PC?

--
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <-- <i>Is this affecting my credibility???</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Hmm wonder if my 4ghz overclocks will hold up against that machine.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

endyen

Splendid
Where's Scotchen when you need him? I think the -alcu is better, and cheeper than the staight cu, but I'm not sure why I think that. Either one would be a great thermal solution, just dont move the case after installation.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
What are you thinking for graphics card? 6800GT?
Well, for me, that would be my choice, yes. However, this is not for me and the person who will be running this will not be using graphics-intensive apps; instead, a lot of emphasis will be placed directly on the memory-CPU-mobo systems. That's also why I chose 2GB memory; that will make this computer quite a bit more powerful in that sense. No overclocking will be done. This is an institutional purchase, remember, and warranties are important.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
the full-copper based has to be better...
The only review I saw that compared the two said otherwise. You have to remember that the AlCu has a wide enough chunk of copper to take care of the "fast conduction" needs, so with typical CPU's there shouldn't be much difference, BUT...

Have you ever put your hand next to an aluminum skillet? And a copper one? In some instances you'll actually touch the damned copper one before you realize it's hot, OUCH. The aluminum one seems to poor the heat off, you can feel it from a greater distance.

Radiant cooling has been discounted as having a minimal impact, but I think it just might be the reason why some combination coolers work better than their copper counterparts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The copper strip runs right through where it sits on the chip with the AlCu unit. It's also MUCH lighter and I am not afraid to move either the 478 case or the socket A case. I have a 7000 AlCu on the 478 and a 6000 on the socket A. Love them both.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
It's 445g versus 755g... So the Copper-based one is 70% heavier, indeed.

However, I was under the impression that there was no way the copper-based one would lose this match. Copper conducts heat twice as well as aluminum... how can the AlCu be better?...

Traditionally, full-copper-based heat dissipation is much more efficient... How can it be?...

I'll recommend the AlCu instead then...

No overclocking will be done. This is an institutional purchase, remember, and warranties are important.
LowLatency memory really isn't necessary, especially with A64 chips. If you look around there is RAM that is much cheaper, pricewise, and still carries a lifetime warranty.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm... are you saying that I don't need that kind of memory? XMS TwinX packs?... I could go with two 1GB DDR400 value select DIMMs (still from corsair) and that would be like a 25% smaller price for memory... That's 7% of the overall system cost I was considering...

Yeah pretty much saying that, lowlatency used to make a big difference in older systems, in todays systems it really isn't necessary.

Check out this link about memory timings:

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index.html</A>

25% less price for maybe 1% or less performance decrease (1% is just a representation, it could be slightly more, just to show it is minimal). Seems like a fair trade to me. Yes the low latency is just slightly better, but with newer systems, and especially the 64-bit chips, the price jump just can't be justified for the performance.

Just my opinion, but I can't justify the huge price jump for such a minimal performance gain. The money saved from the RAM, could be used for other components, that would offer much bigger performance gains.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I still think the fact that you can feel heat at a greater distance from an aluminum skillet than from a copper skillet has something to do with it...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
1. Zalman is very good I had the Zalman cnps 7000cu. The things is copper conducts heat better and aluminum exchanges heat better with air. Overall I'd say go for copper. (but be carefull with the weigt) The PSU I don't know it depends on the graphics card u'll be using. If it's next gen like X800 or Geforce 6800 then i'd go with something that has 450~470W or more.

2. U say the computer will be used for math stuff, then u need an intell and not an amd. Tell me more about the apps but math is number crunching and number cruching means Piv even more zo if u are not buying an athlon FX.

3. Other people were (as me earlier) are talking X800 or nvidia 6800, cards like these are only necassary when you plan on playing really new games. If u plan to game at all.

4. 2 gb of ram can always be handy but if you dont overclock then u don't need that corsair, thats overclockers memory for FSB over 400hhz neither intel nor amd support this with their current cpu's

SL6EF OC's GOOD

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
good choice going with the alcu zalman and not the full copper part. i went through the same choosing and went with the alcu becuase the temp differences are within 2-3 degrees fromt he reviews ive seen, while the weight and price are alot better for the alcu, so i got it and have loved it.

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Intel x86 is not good on floating point maths, unless the application is specifically written to take advantage of SSE2 instructions, even then it is marginal.
For real high end maths you need an itanium workstation, but that is really not the discussion here.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
yes ur right, I just saw a comparison and review and amd 3500+ and upwards beat 3.4 EE from intel strongly in mathematica 5 which is what is is seeking to use as far as i gathered so Socket 939 is the way to go imo.

SL6EF OC's GOOD