[SOLVED] New (silent) PC build recommendations

luks104

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Hello everyone,

the time for an upgrade of my personal computer has come. It has served me well in the last 7 years, but it has become really slow, especially for my type of work (software development - compiling large projects).

I plan on building a silent oriented PC, and I already have the case and the PSU. For the case I chose the Fractal Design R6 (USB C) and for the power supply I chose the beQuiet! Straight Power 750W. I won't go into much detail why I got these two parts already, but I like the case and I read on several sites, that this PSU is rather silent/quiet. With the wattage overhead I am hoping for the fan in the PSU to never turn on. I will use my old 380x graphics card for now, since I don't really play games anymore.

My main concern is the motherboard. I plan on getting the Ryzen 9 5900x, but can't decide which motherboard to get. I looked at B550 and X570 and the main reason, that I even consider the B550 chipset, is that it comes without a fan on the actual motherboard, so here is where I need the most help. Some boards I considered:
  • Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra/Master
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
I don't want an MSI motherboard, since I had bad experiences with them.

The main features I want:
  • Front panel USB type C header and USB type C on the rear IO
  • Wifi
  • 2,5 Gigabit ethernet
  • Enough fan headers
  • At least 2 M.2 gen 4 slots, rather 3
  • In case of X570 a silent fan

Features I'd like but aren't necessary:
  • thunderbolt (I know, far fetched, but still)
  • Wifi 6
  • Good built in audio
  • 3 M.2 gen 4 slots

The price isn't that important, but I'd like to keep it under 400€, rather 300€. RGB isn't really a factor, it will be turned off in my system.

Other than that I plan on getting:
  • beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler
  • Samsung EVO Plus 2TB NVMe SSD
  • Corsair LPX 2x16 3200Mhz RAM
  • 4 beQuiet! Shadow Wings 140mm case fans to replace the default ones that came with the Fractal Design case

Cheers, L