Question New Sound Options

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Since windows 11 does not output 5.1 surround sound via optical like past versions, I am looking into my options for a sound card. I am looking at a couple of sound blaster options. My question is, since USB sound devices seem to be taking over, is there any latency with gaming and these devices? Or other limitations?

I know I could run modified drivers but that seems to be a great way to invite headaches I dont have time to solve. Basically I want my 5.1 back! :LOL:

5.1 over optical requires either Dolby or DTS encoding, which Microsoft probably left it per-app to avoid paying license fees (if few people are going to need it, why include it?)

As far as USB solutions go, some people prefer it because external solutions won't be affected by noise inside the computer as the DAC is isolated. Latency isn't an issue either.

If you're looking for optical 5.1 still, whatever solution you go with still has to support Dolby or DTS encoding, otherwise it can't do it. As an example, I have a Creative Sound Blaster card and there's separate Dolby and DTS add-ons.

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
5.1 over optical requires either Dolby or DTS encoding, which Microsoft probably left it per-app to avoid paying license fees (if few people are going to need it, why include it?)

As far as USB solutions go, some people prefer it because external solutions won't be affected by noise inside the computer as the DAC is isolated. Latency isn't an issue either.

If you're looking for optical 5.1 still, whatever solution you go with still has to support Dolby or DTS encoding, otherwise it can't do it. As an example, I have a Creative Sound Blaster card and there's separate Dolby and DTS add-ons.
It is awesome you can explain the why better than anywhere else. I can score a sbX AE-5 plus pure right now for about $130. Looks like it fits the bill. I am going to think for a minute on if it is an upgrade thats worth it. The asus x570 i have isnt too bad without the Sonic audio apps causing random weirdness.