[SOLVED] New SSD 50% less fps in games then i had with old HDD

Feb 20, 2020
Hey guys

There been some old posts about this topic but i was unable to solve it.
So i just got new ssd ( Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB ) and did clean instal Windows 10 home 1909 version, same as i had before.
I didnt change any other HW and i downloaded all latest drivers, also i flashed BIOS (just tried if it would solve my problem, it didnt) and my fps still havent changed i used to have 140-150 fps stable now i have 55-80 fps, even tried uninstaling graphic driver and instaled it again, nothing, also tried almost all of options that should help with this, tried instal games to hdd instead ssd, same result, and its in all games that i play Witcher III has 15-32 fps instead of 55-65 fps that i used to have, in every game i have like 50% fps less for no obvious reason,game DVR registry i also set to 0(both options), i have w10 power setting set to high performance
and I also noticed that a game that used 60-70% of the GPUs core now uses 98% (it would seem like graphic driver issue, but like i said i have latest one, also tried old ones with no result) Ive read the old topic and nothing there helped me, so dont rly know what else should i do to fix this. And one last thing in any other aspect my pc works well, boot time is like 12 seconds and i runed benchmarks for SSD disc (also other tests) and everything works just like it should.

My spec

SSD : Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
HDD: ST1000DX001-SSHD 1TB (my old hdd, now formated )
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC Gaming 4GB GDDR5
PSU: be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 9 500W
RAM: HyperX Fury BlaCK 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz
Motherboard : Lenovo ideacentre 300-20ISH

So what else should i do ?
Home somebody can help me, coz im rly desperate about this.

Last edited:
Solution
You should've cloned your HDD to your SSD. When installing a new Windows on it, you're a 100% brand new. Your hardware are now using a newer and better Storage to store its data. Check whether your Drivers are running on a compatible version. And make sure your Nvidia GPU is running the games you play rather than the Intel HD 530 your CPU has (Open task manager to see what GPU your apps run with.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU wattage seems low for that build. How old is the PSU? Was it new or taken from another computer?

That said:

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to observe system and component performance.

First watch while system is idle, then while doing light work/browsing, and lastly while gaming.

Look for bottlenecks and what app, process, or service is causing the bottleneck. Remember you can click the column headers to change the sort order.

Pay attention to what may be going on with respect to the HDD.

Feb 20, 2020
No its rly not low, actualy used 250W for this build for 2 years and it work just fine(TPD of this build is 255W so yea it was rly close but it worked). this is 5 months old PSU that i bought new. In idle CPU has max 3% GPU max 1% and SSD max 1%, for browsing/watchning fullHD movie CPU max 30%, SSD max 5% and GPU max 15% and for gaming MONSTER HUNTER WORLD - CPU 60-80%, 55-58C (temperature), GPU is stuck on 99% all the time in game, 54-60C and SSD when not loading 0-2% loading takes about 20%. And i have 25fps in game (same setting as i had with old HDD) used to have 58 fps

Last edited:
Undoubtedly a driver issue, post-fresh install....

Were appropriate mainboard drivers installed?
Gpu drivers?
Monitor connected to GPU output?

All windows updates downloaded/applied?

Balanced power plan selected in Windows?

Is CPU correctly scaling clock speed to at least 2.7 GHz on an all-core load? (you can install/run both HWMonitor and CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu. Once stress test is stopped, clock speed should fall to 800-1500 MHz or so to conserve power)

Unknown E

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2016
You should've cloned your HDD to your SSD. When installing a new Windows on it, you're a 100% brand new. Your hardware are now using a newer and better Storage to store its data. Check whether your Drivers are running on a compatible version. And make sure your Nvidia GPU is running the games you play rather than the Intel HD 530 your CPU has (Open task manager to see what GPU your apps run with.

Solution
Feb 20, 2020
Undoubtedly a driver issue, post-fresh install....

Were appropriate mainboard drivers installed?
Gpu drivers?
Monitor connected to GPU output?

All windows updates downloaded/applied?

Balanced power plan selected in Windows?

Is CPU correctly scaling clock speed to at least 2.7 GHz on an all-core load? (you can install/run both HWMonitor and CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu. Once stress test is stopped, clock speed should fall to 800-1500 MHz or so to conserve power)

GPU driver is fine 442.19-desktop-win10-64bit (uninstaled in safe mode by DDU and instaled again)
Yes monitor is connected to GPU not to motherboard
As i said in original post i have latest W10 version 1909
Motherboard drivers were instaled from manufacturer page
I do have balanced power setting plan, and CPU is scaling as it should

And yes my games are using GPU and not GPU inside i5 6400
Also settings of my GeForce Experience are correct