Question New SSD and unable to access files

Dogrules23

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
I installed a new SSD tonight and put a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Now I can’t access anything I use on a daily basis. No Spotify, no Google Chrome, no Microsoft Word, nothing. How do I access these files in the best way? They’re on an HDD that had/has Windows 10 on it before the SSD.

This is kinda urgent because I’m in the midst of finals week. I also don’t think I have the resources to move all the stuff on the HDD in question to another HDD in my PC.

I installed a new SSD tonight and put a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Now I can’t access anything I use on a daily basis. No Spotify, no Google Chrome, no Microsoft Word, nothing. How do I access these files in the best way? They’re on an HDD that had/has Windows 10 on it before the SSD.

This is kinda urgent because I’m in the midst of finals week. I also don’t think I have the resources to move all the stuff on the HDD in question to another HDD in my PC.

Yeah, they’re on the drive that was my OS drive. That drive might still have the OS on it. I didn’t remove the OS at all.
They're all still there just drag them from the old drive to the new drive. Windows is picky sometimes in order to access thoughs files they have to be on the system that your accessing them from, and technically you have two systems plugged into one. Drag it from the second drive to your primary

So you bought a ssd and put a clean install of Windows 10 and you are wondering where all your application are. With a clean install, you have to reload all your applications and use some process to migrate your data. If you have serious time constraints, I would disconnect your new SSD and work off your old HDD until you have the time to mess with your new SSD. If you must use the new SSD, you can boot your old HDD and initiate Windows 10 File History utility on you old HDD, which will copy all your personal files onto a USB and allow you to move them to you new SSD. However you will still need to re-install all your applications.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS