New SSD and Windows 10

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
This weekend, I’m getting an SSD for my MSI laptop, specially the Samsung 850 EVO msata 500gb and I want to start with Windows 10 on it right away. And I’m impatient and can’t wait until July 29th. The SSD is to be used in conjunction with a 750gb hdd for data and useless stuff….I’m a hoarder when it comes to data.

I’m aware that I must upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, then I can do a fresh install of 10 after I do the upgrade and make a iso image but I’m trying to find out away to avoid that since I have ton of large programs like solidworks, autodesk suites, adobe suites, and games of course and I hate reinstalling everything.

So I really just have a few questions

If I do a fresh install of the 10 preview right now, then all my programs, will the preview receive an update to the RTM version of 10, or will I have to reinstall 8.1 and then do the upgrade from there?

Adding to that, I hear and read about some rumor that once I install the preview, I will have the RTM as a tester. Is this true and what does it mean? If it is true, once the RTM version comes out, can I opt out of being a tester and input my 8.1 key to be updated?

Pertaining to the license, will my current 8.1 license transfer to Windows 10, or will Microsoft give you a new license key? I guess sort of like trading in the 8.1 key for a 10 key.

With a month left, would you say it’s safe to install the current build? I had a previous build install as a partition before and everything work just fine besides my sd card slot, which I need for a 3d printer.

Anyway hope this make sense! I’m just trying to get some views on this and see if anyone else has made a permanent switch already before I do. Thanks to all that can help!

Solution

You can't revert back to windows 8.1, you have to install it separately/do a...
I'm part of the windows insider preview, and you need to get into the windows insider group before you can install the preview.

As for stability, build 10130 and below were pretty bad. however the newer 10159 build is way better.

Yes you can opt out as a tester once it comes out (I think you can even do it now in the preview).

However, you might have to reinstall windows 10 when it comes out to get out of the preview version.

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Thanks fr your response!!

Would it be safe to say I'm already part of the windows insider preview if I already had the preview installed of a previous build but reverted back to 8.1 for a driver I very much needed?

You can't revert back to windows 8.1, you have to install it separately/do a full reinstallation of it. :(

However, when I updated my laptop to windows 10 it saved ALL files, settings, and drivers.

BTW...Once you get the technical preview installed, and want the latest builds quickly, then to go windows update, go to advanced, then select FAST on the insider preview builds, then go back and search for new updates.

Solution

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I know for sure I'm going to do a full reinstall, but I just looked at the Insider preview webpage and saw that it give you a product key. Now I know that is a temporary one, I think, but after it's fully released, will I get a new key or will I use my 8.1 key?

TRENDING THREADS