Question New SSD attached on my computer (running Win7) in Disk Management has no option to format ?

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi All....

Here is my rundown :
  1. Plug the new SSD into Sata(1) hole, where Sata(0) is the HDD running OS.
  2. Turn On the computer
  3. Open Disk Management which suddenly pop out to do something to the SSD, with the selection "MBR" vs "GPT".
  4. The default tick is MBR, so I just click OK.
  5. On the right pane of DiskManagement, I see the SSD with info : Disk1, Basic, 111.79Gb, online, Unallocated

1. (because I don't have USB and DVD drive), I download WinToHDD, open it and choose "new installation"
  2. point it to my Win7 dvd-ISO file then choose Win7 OS ... then...
  3. I select "Disk1 Adata SU650" provided by WinToHDD, but then WinToHDD complain "There is no partition on the Disk".

I thought maybe it's because I haven't format the SSD yet.
So I go back to DiskManagement, right click the SSD, but the context menu doesn't have "Format" option.
The context menu option are : (1) New Simple Volume .... (2)Properties and (3)Help.

So I go to the internet and check what is "new simple volume".
The internet say that it is used for additional/secondary drive of the OS.

My Plan is like this :
  • Clean Install Win7 OS to the new SSD via WinToHDD
  • (Hopefully Win7 installed into the SSD succesfully), replace my current HDD (with Win7 OS) with the SSD put into the Sata0 hole in the mobo.

My question :
Is it OK to click "new simple volume" for the SSD as the SSD later will be the Disk0 ?
If it's not OK, would somebody please tell me on how do I do it ?

Because I'm blind about this, I worry that later the computer won't recognize the SSD (if I click "new simple volume") even if the Win7 installation process to the SSD succed.

Any kind of respond would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I don't really understand the words and skynetrising might have answered that already.
But, I had similar when I got myu new SSD (Zero knowledge).
Crucial MX500

Anyway, had some issues with GPT / MBR.
I had to 'initialize' it first.

I went to the manufacturer's site and had a very helpful online chat with someone.

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Have you used WinToHDD before?
I haven't, SkyNetRising.

Thank you for the link.
Actually I've read the link before and want to try to follow the tutorial there... (I'm sorry as I didn't mention about this in my post) .
But I'm stuck in "There is no partition on the Disk" on step 6 (of the tutorial) once I choose the SSD (WinToHDD ask "select the destination disk").
And when I go back to DiskManagement, I don't know how to partition the SSD....
and I don't dare enough to just select the "New Simple Volume" context menu after I right click the SSD,
so that's why I ask here, SkyNetRising.

It turned out it is not that easy as I thought :).

Thank you for your input, SkyNetRising.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

I've just read again the tutorial, it turned out I missed this process :
Please convert the hard drive to MBR partition scheme and create the system and boot partitions. The system partition can be FAT32 or NTFS format and the boot partition must be NTFS format. The system partition and boot partition can be the same partition.
Too bad, the link in the quote above it's not a tutorial for a new SSD but to convert from GPT to MBR of already partitioned hard drive :(.

Last edited:

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
You can't do step #5, if you have skipped step #2.
Yes, I realize that now :).
Before, I thought step #2 is when I initialized the SSD as MBR.

Here is my Disk Management snapshot:
DiskManagement.png

Disk 1 is the new SSD.
Thank you SkyNetRising.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

BTW, just now I've tried to an old unused HDD regarding the tutorial. (I unplug the SSD first)
This time I just select that "New Simple Volume ...", then follow the rest instruction from Window. It turned out, the computer offer to partition the disk. So I choose NTFS format and put 100gb for the partition.

After that, the old HDD in Disk Management show :
  • on the left has the 100gb partitioned,
  • on the right side has "unallocated"
Back to the tutorial, I can continue where at step 6 :
  • A. "Please choose the MBR system partition", I choose that 100gb partition
  • B. "Please choose the boot partition", I also choose that same 100gb partition.
(so, I don't follow exactly the tutorial, because in step 6 of the turorial, the picture show that it choose to a different partition for A and B).

To my surprise, it continues to step 7.... and after around 9 minutes - the process is finish.
So I turned off the computer. Unplug the "default" HDD - leave just the newly installed old HDD on the mobo. Turn on the computer, then it boots without error. The computer show me a window dialog box which said that it needs to "finishing" the Win7 installation by asking me the region, time, computer name, etc.

After I fill the needed input, the computer continues with a message "finalizing bla3x". But it stuck there (with a running bar) for more than 30 minutes. Because I'm impatience, so I just turn it off then turn it back on. And the Windows7 desktop is there without error.

Still I'm worried to do it the same way to my new SSD :).

Last edited:
Then do step #2.
  1. Create new simple volume, size 500MB, NTFS format (this will be new bootloader partition);
  2. Set it active (right-click on partition, choose mark partition as active);
  3. Create new simple volume, size 102400MB (100GB), NTFS format (this will be new windows partition);
  4. Leave rest of the drive unpartitioned. SSD works best, when there is unallocated space available. It helps performance and wear leveling algorithms work better.

Then you can proceed to setp #3 from tutorial.

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi SkyNetRising,

If I may guess about the "state" of the SSD after following your instruction, will there be 4 partition on the SSD ?
  1. System Reserved (350MB where during Windows7 installation, it creates automatically)
  2. Boot Loader (500MB as your instruction on step-1)
  3. System (100gb, step-3)
  4. Unallocated (the rest of the space, step-4)

Thank you SkyNetRising.

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Thank you for your information that System reserved and bootloader is the same thing and unallocated space is not a partition .

Please bear with me, SkyNetRising...

When I do step-1 of your instruction, do I assign a drive letter ?

I ask because :
  1. my current working HDD (with Win7 OS in it) doesn't have a drive letter on "system reserved" partition.
  2. vaguely, I think when I select the "new simple volume" for the old unused HDD, the dialog box offer me whether to assign a drive letter or not before formatting process.
Thank you.

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi SkyNetRising,
I'm sorry for my late reply.

I've followed your instruction to my old HDD (not to the new SSD), by deleting the C: volume then create the partitions needed. Because on my current Windows7 the System Reserved is 350mb, so I put 350mb while your instruction said 500mb and create the second partition for Win7.

So, when WinToHDD ask for the System Partition, I choose the 350mb unassigned drive letter partition (NTFS formatted, mark as Active). And for the Boot Partition, I choose the other partition.

The installation went well, but after I put the region, language, time, computer name, time, etc.... the windows installation (again like before) stuck at "setup is preparing your computer for first use". (There is only the old HDD on my computer). I turn it off then turn it back on. Windows give me the option to run in safe mode, normal, and some other options. I just choose "run Windows normally". And the desktop is there without error.

Look at the internet about "stuck at setup is preparing your computer for first use", one of the suggestion is to put the DVD to the DVD drive. But I don't have the DVD and DVD drive. There is also another suggestion, but made me headache because it's too complicated for me :).

The "stuck" condition, I am afraid it's because I put 350mb (not 500mb as you mentioned) for the System Reserved ?

Thank you SkyNetRising.

I've followed your instruction to my old HDD (not to the new SSD), by deleting the C: volume then create the partitions needed.
I did not tell you to delete C: partition. Where did you get that?

The installation went well, but after I put the region, language, time, computer name, time, etc.... the windows installation (again like before) stuck at "setup is preparing your computer for first use". (There is only the old HDD on my computer).
Why did you remove SSD?

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
I did not tell you to delete C: partition. Where did you get that?
Yes I know you didn't tell me to delete C: drive on the old unused HDD :).

Why did you remove SSD?
Because I want to try first (before I do it to the SSD) to the old HDD.

As in my post #8, I install Win7 to the old HDD (not the current HDD) via WinToHDD.
But that time, I only do one partition (create Simple Volume only once) to the old HDD, while WinToHDD instruction is to do to two partitions.
So then after fresh Win7 OS installed to the old HDD, from Disk Management I only see C:drive partition,
there is no System Reserved partition without drive letter as seen on my current HDD.

Later, you advice me to make two partitions to the SSD.
Rather to the SSD, I want to try it to the old SSD (which already installed Win7 by me as in my post #8).
That's why I didn't put the SSD, because I want to give it a try to my old HDD
and that's why (from my current HDD running Win7 OS), I delete C: partition of the old HDD ---> which cause the old HDD partition become unallocated.

From that unallocated old HDD:
  1. I create one partition (New Simple Volume), 350mb for the System Reserved, NTFS formatted and have it Active without drive letter.
  2. I create another partition (New Simple Volume) for Win7 OS (also NTFS formatted, with Z: drive letter).
It's almost the same with what I have done to the old HDD as in my post #8.
The difference,

step-6 from WinToHDD tutorial :
Select the destination disk in the drop-down list, then select the boot partition and system partition from the partition list, the selected partitions will be marked as red.
the first time (post #8):
I didn't create two partitions, only one partition to my old HDD, then from WinToHDD step 6, I choose the same partition because there is no two partitions on my old HDD because I only create one partition. I didn't obey the WinToHDD step 6 instruction.

the second time :
I created two partitions as in the point-1 and point-2 above to my old HDD, then from WinToHDD step 6, I choose the different partition :
  1. I select the 350mb for the system partition
  2. I select the 10gb minus 350mb for the boot partition.
So this second time I obey the WinToHDD step 6 instruction because I obey you to create two partitions (before starts the WinToHDD) to the unallocated space, which I thought it doesn't matter whether creating two partitions is to the SSD or to the old HDD because I thought it "departs" from the same drive condition which is unallocated.

To make it simple:
I want to try first whether I am succeed (no error - no hang) using WinToHDD to the old HDD or not.
If the Win7 clean installation gone well to the old HDD, then I will repeat the procedure to the new SSD.

But it seems the instruction is specific only for an unallocated SSD, not an unallocated HDD ?
(I mean, if it's an unallocated HDD - then the instruction will be different).

It is something like this :
A. Assume that I don't have SSD yet, but old HDD which I don't care much if I format it again and again, delete the volume again and again.
B. Follow Win7 clean install via WinToHDD (and your instruction before using WinToHDD).
If I succed, then I buy a new SSD and repeat the same procedure (which I already "practice" it the old HDD) to the new SSD.

(I do already have the new SSD, but I want to "practice" first to the old HDD before doing it to the SSD).
But it seems I can't do that to the old HDD, because the instruction to be performed is only to a SSD ?

I am sorry if I don't make myself clear enough, SkyNetRising.
Thank you for your patience.

D

Deleted member 14196

You don’t install windows with another tool you install windows with a bootable USB disk or a bootable DVD not some utility and I’m not surprised none of this works

Do not use Wintohdd. What even is that?

You should follow Tom’s guide on how to install windows clean and do it that

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Here is my Disk Management snapshot after obeying WinToHDD (and obeying your instruction to create two partitions on unallocated drive before using WinToHDD)
DiskManagement2.gif

Disk 0 is my current HDD, Disk 1 is my old HDD.
The above picture is when I boot Win7 from Disk 0.

Here is snapshot on "My Computer" (Win 7 is booted from Disk 0).

DiskManagement5.gif

The first two drives on the first row is Disk 0,
the second two drives on the second row is Disk 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is Disk Management of "fresh" Win7 booted from Disk 1 (old HDD).
DiskManagement3.gif

Here is "My Computer" of "fresh" Win7 booted from Disk 1 (old HDD)
DiskManagement4.gif

The first two drives on the first row is Disk 1,
the rest of the drives is Disk 0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the Disk Management like in the snapshots above :
A. if I want to use Win7 on my current HDD, from the BIOS I choose to boot Disk 0 drive.
B. if I want to use "fresh" Win7 on my old HDD, from the BIOS I choose to boot Disk 1 drive.

It seems all is OK because I can boot to the "fresh" Win7 from my old HDD, install some programs and running it with no error, which I actually I can now just repeat the same procedure to the SSD, by plug the SSD, unplug the old HDD to my computer so then the Disk Management snapshot is the snapshot I post on #8.

But again, I'm still worry to do it to the SSD because I am stuck at "setup is preparing your computer for first use " during the installation to the old HDD, although after I just turn the computer off and turn it back on, there is no error.

Thank you.

Last edited:

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
You don’t install windows with another tool you install windows with a bootable USB disk or a bootable DVD not some utility and I’m not surprised none of this works
Hi Mandark, I understand that.

The installation is stuck at "setup is preparing your computer for first use" with WinToHDD.
But I don't know how/why .... it seems there is no problem after reboot.
I can run this "fresh" Win7 booted from the old HDD (Disk 1), run the snapshot program with no error, and upload the snapshot here in my post before.

Currently I don't have the USB stick and and the DVD drive.

Do not use Wintohdd. What even is that?
It's a program I found from the internet :).
I think quite many people using WinToHDD as from the internet there are quite many posts with the same problem like mine :"stuck at setup is preparing your computer for first use".
So this problem maybe because they use WinToHDD.

Thank you for your advice, Mandark.

Last edited:

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi SkyNetRising,

Now I've installed Win7 on SSD using WinToHDD.
Just like when I install on the old HDD, I also stuck at "setup is preparing your computer for first use" , so I just turn the computer off then turn it back on, and Win7 desktop appear with no error from the SSD. Installed some programs and the they run without problem.

I still don't know if it can be called "the SSD failed" because I stuck at setup is preparing your computer for first use. Anyway I want to say many thanks for your patience and guidence.