New SSD - Best way of moving files?

dathtom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
So I'm getting a new SSD and i just wanted some advice of how to move my files over.

To be clear...I'm doing a complete re install, not a clone because I'm on 32-bit and i want to upgrade to 64; and this installation is so cluttered anyway.

I was planning on installing it on the SSD and moving my steamapps folder over, then formatting the hard drive, then moving the programs I dont want to the ssd over on the empty hard drive.

I've also got a copy of office which I'd like to move over to the new installation - any way I can do this?

Thanks

Tom

When you install windows on the SSD make sure the SSD is the only drive connected. Reconnect the HDD when you are done. You can move Data(doc, music, save games etc), and your steam apps folder since steam handles the install. But all programs, including office, must be reinstalled on the new windows. You will have to know your product key, or find it with a key reader.

So. Connect SSD only. Install/update windows. Connect HDD. Copy/back up any needed files/keys. Format HDD. Install programs under new OS and point the install location to either the SSD or HDD via custom/advanced install.

Edit: check for a firmware update for the SSD before doing anything. They ship with faulty ones sometimes. (looking at you OCZ)

mubin

Distinguished
Installed program need to install again to new SSD.

For steam, follow this link:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

But if you have game backup then no need to doing such thing. Just install steam on new SSD and restore backup apps. And always do steam apps backup for games in disc. Who knows, there could be a accident and need to install games again.

Install only os and most frequently used program like games on ssd. No need to fill up ssd with program like MS office.

dathtom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
office is one of my most frequently used programs...im a student. And I'd lose the installation anyway when i formatted the hard drive...

dathtom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
how do I make a backup of office? it's probably a stupid question but I'm strictly a hardware guy :p

oh, and btw when I 'move' the installation over I'm actually going to be installing windows 8.

mubin

Distinguished
You cant backup office. I asked you, if you have backup for office. So you can reinstall.

But you can backup steam apps from steam. To backup steam apps, Right-click the games from library and select backup file. If that grayed out, then click properties. Then select local file and then Backup. Now follow the instruction.

mubin

Distinguished
To move steam installation, yes you can drag and drop alone with steam.exe file. Both must be in steam folder.

But for backup, dont use drag and drop. Backup from steam to restore properly. Also if you burn it on dvd, it will be safer or in ext. HDD.