New SSD causing programs to Not respond

FaintGoat

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
So i installed a second ssd. Its an 850 evo and my other it an 840. It seems to have installed fine and programs can load off of it fine, programs i load from the 840 seem to "not respond" at certain times when i, for example, click my games in the uplay launcher. Im not sure if it has something to do with the new ssd, maybe because im using a sata 1 cable? Not sure why that would matter but, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: My pc is also now freezes at random times. It seems all of these things occur more often when multiple things are open. i also cant launch games from the new ssd, only programs. I have even checked event viewer but no error or anything have showed.
:[

OK, so i finally got a game to run by messing around with the paths, but it loads INSANELY slow, as well as things in the game as i play take ages to load in. I have now tried turning on rapid mode on the samsung magician but it hasnt made any difference.

Update 2: I downloaded another game an tried to run it but it took minutes to even start the loading screen, and i checked task managers resource moniter an the new ssd with the game is shooting up to 100% usage and wont go down till the game is shut off. It seems to do it on any program that updates from the new ssd as well as games from uplay, but i can get stardew valley to run fine once im able to get steam to run from the new ssd.

Specs: cpu is a I7-4790k
16 gigabytes of corsair ram
asus z97 armour edition motherboard
1080 sc graphics card
250 gigabyte samsung 840 ssd
new ssd= samsung 850 evo 1tb
the cpu is also water cooled
tp-link ethernet card

Solution
1. REMOVE the second SSD, both signal and power cables. Did the PC stabilize? Yes, RMA the new SSD. No Continue.
2. Verify SATA port settings for the new SSD are RAID READY or ACHI. This is set in the BIOS
3. Verify firmware is current on both SSDs. This is done with Samsung disk magician.
4. When you said "resource moniter an the new ssd with the game is shooting up to 100% usage " did you mean Resource Monitor's reported disk usage was 100% (or were you talking about CPU)? If so was if for the new SSD or the old one ? Can you look at the response time column and see response times... they should be single digit, not huge.

Coedgy

Prominent
May 26, 2017

Have you overclocked your CPU?
Please try the memtest, there are tutorials how to boot into it.

FaintGoat

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
No, i havent overclocked my cpu, only my graphics card. And for the mem test do i want the directory set for the new ssd?

Update: Just completed the memtest, 1 pass and 0 errors

Coedgy

Prominent
May 26, 2017

You sure its not over-overclocked? That could cause pc freezes.
Im sure its not your SSD causing problems

1. REMOVE the second SSD, both signal and power cables. Did the PC stabilize? Yes, RMA the new SSD. No Continue.
2. Verify SATA port settings for the new SSD are RAID READY or ACHI. This is set in the BIOS
3. Verify firmware is current on both SSDs. This is done with Samsung disk magician.
4. When you said "resource moniter an the new ssd with the game is shooting up to 100% usage " did you mean Resource Monitor's reported disk usage was 100% (or were you talking about CPU)? If so was if for the new SSD or the old one ? Can you look at the response time column and see response times... they should be single digit, not huge.

Solution

FWIW I had similar problems caused by an SSD. (stutter, long pauses). Newegg was nice enough to swap it for me. The new one didn't cause any problems. I assumed the failing drive hung up the system while it was in error retries, some of the less common SSD retries can take up to 10 seconds.

FaintGoat

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
When i said usage is 100% i meant the new ssd, the 850 evo. All firmware is current on the ssd. Checking the rest now. The ssds were set to AHCI mode in bios. The response time of the 850 evo (the new one) is around .3 ms, but when a game or certain programs are started the usage sshoots up to 100% on the ssd and the response time is 0.

Update: im just going to RMA it. Man their customer suport staff treat you like your 4, annoying as hell.