New SSD, Clean intall Win10, 30 minutes to boot up

Canuck19

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Samsung NP355E7C laptop upgraded to new Crucial 1TB SSD, clean install of Windows 10 done, once it boots all works fine, but it takes 30 minutes to boot, and has from day one. If put to sleep, it comes up quick and works fine, just a few seconds to get to logon screen, but with restarts I might as well go run errands while it boots up.

I have updated the Bios driver as well as any other drivers that were updatable, my boot order in BIOS shows the SSD first, I disabled "Fast Boot" as was suggested in some of the reading I have done. Crucial Support helped me run a scan that indicated the SSD itself was fine (and indeed, it works great!!), and the laptop itself was working fine previously with the Windows 8 HHD, Crucial made a few suggestions but no solution yet.

Any suggestions welcome!!

Solution
Did you try linux?

Normal reason for slow boot is hdd but you tested that out. I don't suppose you have another drive you could put in to back this up, as it might be the physical connections on back of drive at fault

in bios, is the hdd set as IDE or AHCI? If set to ide, it could explain the slow down.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it taking 30 minutes before the login screen pops up or after?

Judging by your manual, you don't have a windows Boot Manager choice in Boot screen?

right click start button
choose device manager
are there any unknown devices or warnings showing?

I wonder if it takes that long in safe mode
go to settings/update & security/recovery - Advanced Startup, click the restaret PC now button
this loads windows recovery environment
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

If it was faster, have to think problem is a driver. If it took just as long its going to be hardware of some kind.

I thought of a new cable but I assume thats difficult in a laptop. It sounds like PC waiting for something to react, and its time out period is super long... either way its not a good sign as it looks like a part of laptop is going bad

Canuck19

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Canuck19

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Colif

Win 11 Master
Who installed Hard drive? I wonder what they fixed?

Windows Boot Manager would be an option in the BIOS boot order (if it existed), it matches the new win 10 format for hdd but your PC might just use the old one... booklet doesn't tell me enough.

since its fine after login I don't think its a driver, I think device drivers load after the login

Try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ - not for recovery but to see if PC boots fine on it, to remove windows from picture

Canuck19

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Worth a try, thanks!

Canuck19

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
I used those directions to get it to restart in Safe Mode, and it just restarted it, did not give me an option for Safe Mode. I even checked Samsung.com to see if that was how it's done for Samsung, and it was...when the list of Safe Modes etc is supposed to come up, it doesn't. Also, with the long boot, I am unable to access the BIOS while restarting, I have to go through the troubleshooting.

Canuck19

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Was able to run automatic repair through the troubleshooter, got a message that it was unable to repair the computer. Of course, any troubleshooting involvea the 20-30 minute restart....getting it to boot to automatic repair took 40 minutes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try linux?

Normal reason for slow boot is hdd but you tested that out. I don't suppose you have another drive you could put in to back this up, as it might be the physical connections on back of drive at fault

in bios, is the hdd set as IDE or AHCI? If set to ide, it could explain the slow down.

Solution

Canuck19

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

I don't know how to go about trying linux. I'm a self-taught slightly more than newbie to all this stuff...learning as I go.

Crucial worked with me and scanned the SSD, yes, and helped me do some other trouble shooting that pretty much ruled out a problem with the SSD, although not impossible...they did say they would exchange it for me, if it came to that.

I don't have time to go through a 20-30 minute restart right now to check the BIOS, but I think in my reading that was suggested, and I am 99% sure that it is set for AHCI, last time I was in the BIOS.

When I had the new SSD installed and clean install of Windows 10 done, the original plan was to clone the old HHD then upgrade to Windows 10, but he was unable to get the clone to take, so he scrapped it and did a clean install. That took a long time, but it finally stuck, but the long boot time was there from the beginning, right from install. And prior to the clean install, in trying to figure out what was going on, he had the computer looked at by someone who fixed hardware issues, and he found a loose connection to the motherboard somewhere, I can't remember the details, and fixed it.

In the attempts to get the old HHD cloned I needed my computer back after the motherboard repair to use, and it worked fine with the old HHD, so my thinking is:
1. a problem with Windows 10, since the SSD checks out and all the drivers are up to date (one of the troubleshooting steps Crucial had me run through). OR
2. Something new in the computer is going bad.

I really hope it's a windows 10 issue, but am worried I spent hundreds of dollars updating a laptop that is going to go bad now (I put new RAM into it, too.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Who installed the drive? The problem started then and if a technician was installing drive, he should have realised that 30 minutes for an ssd is way too long (try 20 seconds, not 30 minutes).

Perhaps ask person who helped with drive to use linux. Ask them to swap old hdd back in and see if its just as slow. If hdd works fine, then problem is the ssd somehow and you rma it and get another.

Or take it to a shop. They can swap out drive and see if another has same problem. even though it passes tests. They can try LInux on it and see if its still slow. They might say its something else, i don't think its ram as PC wouldn't even boot at all if it was ram, it might have been something that was on motherboard. I really don't know.

That loose connection might be the key to all this but I cannot say for sure.

Did he enable fast boot after installing as sometimes changing those settings in bios after an install can cause this.

Sep 10, 2018
Was checked if chipset drivers where installed (right ones), i myself was helped by that, from another thread ("thread".....that correct name) on this forum. In device manager see if there is a "!" displayed somewhere, than there could be a problem. Indexing hard drives turned off i was tipped, boot managers, but that finally seemed the solution.....amd oh yeah, soluto (now how did that came to mind) seems it's very popular for faster boots (at cost of some privacy).

Ps thanks for listening to my somewhat rambling.