[SOLVED] New SSD drive extremely slow

VenomRaven

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
So I bought a new SSD drive off of amazon the other day (Samsung 860 EVO 1TB). However it runs appallingly slow

So far I've checked that the cable and the port are both SATA 3 and they are. I don't really know what else to do.

Is it possible its a power issue? At the moment I've got one power cable running into three harddrives. I don't really know what else to change.

Just tried updating drivers and no difference.
View: https://imgur.com/03hdRCS

Solution
The problem is the only free slot I have is a SATAe port which I dont have the cable for. Can buy one I suppose if theres nothing else to try.

Just tried updating my bios and no difference either. Found a few threads with similar problems so at least I know its not just me having the issues. Shame the solution didnt work
Do you have 6 SATA drives connected to your motherboard? The SATA Express port can also be used as 2 normal SATA ports.

VenomRaven

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
So going on to another page on the Samsung Wizard. It says I'm using SATA 1. No idea why. Is there an easy way to change this? I feel like its just assigned wrong. (I checked the motherboard and the cable)

I've got on ASUS Z97ZPro Gamer motherboard. I havn't actually done anything to my bios as I'm not really sure what I need to change in there. Any help specifically what needs to be done?

View: https://imgur.com/tT8md8W

Last edited:
In the Advanced section of your BIOS, check if "SATA Mode Selection" is set to AHCI.

Set to [AHCI] when you want the SATA hard disk drives to use the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface). The AHCI allows the onboard storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features that increases storage performance on random workloads by allowing the drive to internally optimize the order of commands

Reactions: Nemesia

VenomRaven

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
The problem is the only free slot I have is a SATAe port which I dont have the cable for. Can buy one I suppose if theres nothing else to try.

Just tried updating my bios and no difference either. Found a few threads with similar problems so at least I know its not just me having the issues. Shame the solution didnt work

Do you have 6 SATA drives connected to your motherboard? The SATA Express port can also be used as 2 normal SATA ports.

Solution

VenomRaven

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
Worked it out. Swapped the cable over with one of my other harddrives without changing the ports. Now that harddrive is SATA 1 and my new harddrive is SATA 3. So clearly this SATA3 cable isnt really SATA 3 despite what it was sold as and whats printed on it!

TRENDING THREADS