[SOLVED] New SSD for OS

Nov 7, 2019
Got the son a new m2 for his already full HDD. What I need help with is to move the OS (win10), or fresh install onto the m2(500gb) but keep all the data on the 1tb HDD accessible as normal and eventually replace with a 2tb SSD. Can anyone help. Thanks, [emoji1303]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Solution
You can move OS only, if there's enough space on target drive. With full 1TB HDD, you can not move it to 500GB SSD.

For fresh install -
disconnect HDD,​
connect SSD,​
install windows,​
reconnect HDD.​
Nov 7, 2019
Thanks. I dont intend to move data on hdd to m2. just the OS. Will do fresh install od OS.
That done and the OS no longer on the hdd, will the data on the hdd be accessible as normal (as it is now without changes)? I hope i am explaining myself [emoji53]

I dont intend to move data on hdd to m2. just the OS.
If OS and data are not on separate partitions, then you can not move OS only (without data).

That done and the OS no longer on the hdd, will the data on the hdd be accessible as normal (as it is now without changes)?
There will still be OS on old HDD until you manually remove it.
Data will be accessible. It may be necessary to take ownership of files (and change file access permissions) though .

Reactions: HipHopDad

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. I dont intend to move data on hdd to m2. just the OS. Will do fresh install od OS.
That done and the OS no longer on the hdd, will the data on the hdd be accessible as normal (as it is now without changes)? I hope i am explaining myself [emoji53]

If the data on the HDD is just files, yes.
If it is applications, no.

Endre

Reputable

So, you have a 500GB M.2 SSD and you want to use it only for the OS?
Generally, people use anywhere between 100GB to 250GB for OS.
I’d suggest you creating 2 partitions on your M.2 SSD: one for OS, and one for storage.

But I don’t know what you’re using your PC for.

Nov 7, 2019
Mainly used for Steam.. There are applications on the hdd but non that cant be replaced easily, so almost all data, is the data build up from Steam? Thanks for the replies guys.

Endre

Reputable
Mainly used for Steam.. There are applications on the hdd but non that cant be replaced easily, so almost all data, is the data build up from Steam? Thanks for the replies guys.

If the programs that you’re installing aren’t absolutely huge, then you don’t need 500GB for partition C.
You could split the SSD into two 250GB partitions and use one as partition C, and the other as storage.
It’s your choice.

Endre

Reputable
Yes.
And I wouldn't bother splitting the 500GB into two partitions. You actually end up wasting space.

By creating 2 partitions on a drive you lose a bit of space, but it keeps things clear, system being separated from storage files, not to mention that if you need to re-install Windows clean, in case of an error, you’ll lose the storage files by formatting the partition.