new ssd for this old laptop or buying a used laptop and why

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
I have a dell precision m90 win7 3gig ram and the hdd is too slow i wonder what is best to do
i wish to switch to windows 10 soon.
i could maybe( idontknow if it would fit ) buy a new ssd amazon 35dollar kingston or 60 samsung evo and put it inside the m90
or
i could maybe buy a used pc for like 200.

would the ssds work well in m90 ?
Is the m90 so old that it is not worth it for reasons i dont know (maybe components not supported in near futur ). Maybe its processor is so old that i would be much better with a more recent used laptop.
here are some choices of used laptop close to me to help you guide me

maybe some laptop brand or ssd brand are best to be avoid too .. tell me
in the grand overall choice what is best to do? i dont want to spend a lot but need faster loading .. idont edit video or play videogame.tx

ps maybe to consider is how much i can get by reselling the current pc and IF THE HDD CAN REALLY BE ERASED ( I READ THAT YOU CAN RESSUCITATE A HDD THAT HAVE BEEN ERASED SINCE DATA HAS IMPRINTED THE 0 AND 1 FOR SO LONG THAT A BUYER COULD GET ACCESS TO YOU DATA BY RESSUCITATING IT...... ??? !! ???
--
my m90 spec
processor core tm 2 cpu t7200 2.0gh
ram 4.00 gig
win 32bit
hdd80gig

---
Dell Latitude E5500,Core 2 Duo T7250 , 4 Go ram, 240 Go SSD, Win 10,Sans Caméra, Batterie 2h00, Écran 15.6 pouces 165$ + Taxes
does the improvement of the following justify the 60 dollar more???

Dell Latitude E6410,
i5-520M, 6Go ram, 240 Go SSD, Win 10, Caméra, Batterie 2h00, Écran 14 pouces 225$ + Taxes

Lenovo Thinkpad T410,
i5-520M, 8Go ram, 240 Go SSD, Win 10, Caméra, Batterie 2h00, Écran 14 pouces 235$ + Taxes

HP EliteBook 8540p ,
i7-640M, 8Go ram, 240 Go SSD, Win 10, Caméra, Batterie 2h30, Écran 15.6 pouces 290$ + Taxes

Lenovo Thinkpad L520,
i5-2520M, 8Go ram, 240 Go SSD, Win 10, Caméra, Batterie 3h00, Écran 15.6 pouces 290$ + Taxes

Lenovo Thinkpad L530,
i5-3210M, 8Go ram, 240 Go SSD, Win 10, Caméra, Batterie 4h00, Écran 15.6 pouces 325$ + Taxes Meilleur Vendeur

SSD--
on amazon
37 dollar new
Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G

67 dol
Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD Hard Drive (MZ-77E250B/AM) [Canada Version]

Last edited:
I would not put a new drive in that core 2 system unless you absolutely can't afford replacing it.

Don't know where you are looking at the used laptop prices but they are way too high for what you can find same speed systems for unless it's some local pricing to you that you did not mention about the currency conversion.

Laptops with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen Intel i5 should be about $200-250 with an SSD and 8 gb of RAM. This is a very good system around my area for $250 https://worcester.craigslist.org/sys/d/sterling-lenovo-thinkpad-t450s-14in/7375206088.html

If you are worried about the data on your drive even after you wipe it, take it out and just destroy it.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I would not put a new drive in that core 2 system unless you absolutely can't afford replacing it.

Don't know where you are looking at the used laptop prices but they are way too high for what you can find same speed systems for unless it's some local pricing to you that you did not mention about the currency conversion.

Laptops with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen Intel i5 should be about $200-250 with an SSD and 8 gb of RAM. This is a very good system around my area for $250 https://worcester.craigslist.org/sys/d/sterling-lenovo-thinkpad-t450s-14in/7375206088.html

If you are worried about the data on your drive even after you wipe it, take it out and just destroy it.
prices are in canadian dollar yes .
-are you saying i should not get a 1st generation?
- what about the brands to avoid or to get.

i forgot to say that i want a laptop that is not too noisy (fans)

could you help me get a good bang for buck laptop that has a ssd in it on ebay? unless you say that xyz is a minimum of xyz reasons i would like to pay around 150 dollar..
Im not sure if 8gb makes a difference vs 6gb ram for win 10 what do you think ?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
any suggestions that would be good to run win11 too
maybe i could add more budjet but i want it to be quiet , not a vacum cleaner...

ebay or esle suggestions? tx

Best used laptops I have run across would be the Lenovo T models, although you will need to check on available models to see if any have an SSD swapped into it. T420 or T430 would be good and about your price range, talking about the US market that is. I would look for it locally instead of ebay though so you can actually see the shape and test it. Fans are fine in those unless of course there is an issue with the fan on what you buy.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
if i find one on used market and am willing to take the risk of bad component,
im afraid that someone cound have installed a malware or a modified windows version.
if i use the hidden reset option from win10 would that clean everything and would i be sure that there is no malware on the pc?

if i find one on used market and am willing to take the risk of bad component,
im afraid that someone cound have installed a malware or a modified windows version.
if i use the hidden reset option from win10 would that clean everything and would i be sure that there is no malware on the pc?

Yes doing a full restore for Win 10 will wipe it and install a new version, or just do a clean setup with your own media.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Yes doing a full restore for Win 10 will wipe it and install a new version, or just do a clean setup with your own media.
ok cool and can i do a full restore from the os on the used laptop even if it is oem meaning that i dont have my own win 10 licence.
- Also, is it possible for a seller with bad intention to install a windows that contains a malware? can i verify that?

ok cool and can i do a full restore from the os on the used laptop even if it is oem meaning that i dont have my own win 10 licence.
- Also, is it possible for a seller with bad intention to install a windows that contains a malware? can i verify that?

As long as the system you are installing it on came with Windows 10 you can use the Win 10 media from Microsoft. Even if it had Win 7 and you have the license key, that key should work.
Yes it's possible for someone to install a virus on a system, very easy actually, they just need to do it. Which is why you should do a clean setup yourself if you are worried about it.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
As long as the system you are installing it on came with Windows 10 you can use the Win 10 media from Microsoft. Even if it had Win 7 and you have the license key, that key should work.
Yes it's possible for someone to install a virus on a system, very easy actually, they just need to do it. Which is why you should do a clean setup yourself if you are worried about it.
To make sure i understand,
if someone has installed malware in win 1o on a used pc, i can still do the hidden reset thing and then the pc would not have malware anymore? Is doing the reset thing considered to do a clean setup as you say?