New SSD format has failed.

mnaidis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
I just added an SSD to my system (PC) and plugged in the SATA data cable which I bough with it to the available SATA port, when I try to create the partiion and click "Format" it says that the format was not successful, tried this multiple times.

What should I do? (The BIOS does recognize the SSD and all)

OS is Windows 8 and the motherboard is H81HDS.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
You tried to format from within Windows? Did you deleted the partition and create another one? You should only do QUICK formats with SSD's.

If push comes to shove you could always boot up from your Windows DVD and create/format your partition from that environment. Just reach the screen where you're suppose to install Windows... go to Advanced... and then create/format there and then exit... real quick.

mnaidis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

No I'm not trying to install windows, just added an SSD for games, and yes, I tried to do it and it still fails, I chose quick format.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

hahahaha.... you obviously did NOT pay attention to what I wrote... you just skimmed through it... I never said anything about installing windows.. I presented you another way of creating and formatting drives OUTSIDE of the Windows environment.

mnaidis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

How do I do that?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

1. Insert Windows DVD into drive... restart computer and BOOT from the DVD
2. Go to screen where you install windows (you're not, though) and select Advance Options
3. Find SSD you're working on... DELETE that partition and CREATE new partition then Format
4. Exit out and boot back into Windows... should work.

joex444

Distinguished
The BIOS doesn't recognize it all yet there's a partition that Windows sees? And you're sure that's the SSD and not your existing drive which had Windows on it?

There's no magic nor voodoo here, it's a SATA drive on an H81 platform. That fundamentally doesn't require anything for the BIOS to see it. I don't think your board even has a second SATA controller, it's 2xSATA-II and 2xSATA-III which is exactly what you get on an H81.

You absolutely need the BIOS to recognize it before anything else can happen. Don't even bother booting into Windows and clicking on stuff if the BIOS doesn't see it. Once the BIOS sees it, then you can start with the idea of formatting it. It's possible that your BIOS does see it and you're not initializing, partitioning, and/or formatting it correctly.

mnaidis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

I'm 100% positive that the BIOS sees it, can you please tell me how you'd do it and I'll tell you if I did it?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

He wrote that his BIOS does see the SSD...