New SSD Has Windows 10 - Old Hard Drive has Windows 7

Jose_20

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hey guys!
I recently built a new PC and downloaded windows on the SSD.
I have an old HDD has Windows 7 on it and a bunch of games, programs etc.
Would I be able to just connect my old HDD toy my MOBO and have no issues with both the SSD and HDD getting confused because the SSD has Windows 10 and the HDD has Windows 7
Do I have to wipe my HDD?

Solution
You can certainly connect a drive that's got Windows 7 installed to your new PC that runs Windows 10, it should be recognised no problem without any conflicts because the BIOS on your new PC is still set to boot from the SSD first, regardless of what other drives have been added since.

However, you won't be able to run that Windows 7 on your new PC, nor will you be able to run any installed applications or games that are on it. They will have to be re-installed individually.

You can certainly connect a drive that's got Windows 7 installed to your new PC that runs Windows 10, it should be recognised no problem without any conflicts because the BIOS on your new PC is still set to boot from the SSD first, regardless of what other drives have been added since.

However, you won't be able to run that Windows 7 on your new PC, nor will you be able to run any installed applications or games that are on it. They will have to be re-installed individually.

Solution
Assuming that each of your disks contains a bootable, functional OS I see no reason why you couldn't connect both drives in your system and boot to one or the other as you desire. You would access your system's boot menu during the boot and simply choose the drive you wish to boot to. The other drive would then be seen as a secondary drive. While you could access/manipulate data on the secondary drive you could not run programs from that drive unless you installed them on the current boot drive.

But the bottom line is that you could connect both drives in your system and boot to one or the other and utilize the OS on the disk you booted to. I don't know if that would meet your objective.

Jose_20

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Thank you! I'll try that now!