New SSD in ASUS laptop, not working

martin.1024

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
So the first thing I did was remove the HDD from my laptop and replaced it with the SSD. no cloning or anything since I already moved any important documents and files to a flash drive. I also put a Windows 10 Pro ISO on the flash drive and stuck it into my laptop and restarted it. But I get errors like bootmgr is missing, and when I take the flash drive out and restart it, the error "reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". What should I do? Thanks. I don't have the usb attachment that connects form the ssd to computer for cloning and such.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
get the win10 installer. prepare USB drive (8Gb at least)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

boot to your BIOS and set the following :
* SATA mode to AHCI
* Boot mode to UEFI/Uefi+legacy/CSM disabled (depending on your BIOS)
* Secure boot disabled (ignore if not available)
* save & reset.
shutdown.

attach only 1 drive during this windows install process. after the windows install is done you can connect the rest of your secondary drives.

attach your USB. boot. press F8 (or F2/DEL go to boot menu). select the USB UEFI. follow the on screen instructions. delete all partitions from your previous attempts. install. skip license key input. continue with the installation process. until all is done. make sure you run the windows updates as well. then keep restarting until all is done.

if you had a win10 installed on your HDD before, you dont need to input your license key since you are only changing hard drives. you can confirm your windows is still activated by going to settings. update & security. activation.