New SSD in laptop factory recovery partitions.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I want to replace a laptop's hdd with an sdd and clean install Win 10 onto it. By removing the old hdd completely I shouldn't have to worry about backing up the factory recovery partitions should I? The hdd will basically become the backup of that drive itself...

Solution
If you don't ever intend to reset the computer to factory condition then you don't need the recovery partitions on the new drive. I cannot say if it will even work, unless you did a one to one clone.

Personally, I would just do the fresh install on the new drive and let Windows partition it. You will maximize the storage available. And it sounds like you are keeping the old hard drive as a backup, so you could always pop that back in and do a restore to factory should you ever desire to.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If you don't ever intend to reset the computer to factory condition then you don't need the recovery partitions on the new drive. I cannot say if it will even work, unless you did a one to one clone.

Personally, I would just do the fresh install on the new drive and let Windows partition it. You will maximize the storage available. And it sounds like you are keeping the old hard drive as a backup, so you could always pop that back in and do a restore to factory should you ever desire to.

Solution

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Sounds good to me. What exactly does a factory restore from those partitions do anyway? I'm not overly familiar with it and I just heard about it in regards to ever clean installing an OS on a laptop. It's likely that was also in regards to installing the OS on the same drive again though...

BadAsAl

Distinguished
It basically deletes everything and returns the computer's state to the condition it was when you got it. Useful when you want to sell the computer or you just want to start over. The nice thing is all your drivers are re-installed but then you also get whatever the manufacturer decided to include, aka bloatware.