New SSD in new laptop with no driver

Vynh

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
I've had my current laptop for about 8 years and I just purchased a new one a few days ago. The new laptop I ordered has no hard drive in it because I bought a new ssd to go with it instead and I wanted to put it in myself to save money.

I'm not really tech savvy and I've tried looking for solutions on other threads but most of the things I've read are over my head, so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question :??:

All I want to transfer from my current hdd to my new ssd are my documents and photos and music, because everything else I feel is outdated, since my laptop now runs on XP and I have a very old version of Microsoft Office. I was able to get ahold of the Windows 8 OS and a more updated Microsoft Office software and was planning on putting it on the ssd.

How exactly will I go about this?

Thank you :)

Solution
Easiest way to transfer, purchase a cheap 2.5" HDD caddy, stick your old laptop drive in it and then copy files off, you also get the use of the old drive for backups once you format it to remove XP. Since you say XP laptop is 8 yrs old, suspect it to be IDE (25pins) and not sata (L shape single connection), either way, caddy only costs a few £.
There few easy ways. First with the new Ssd Microsoft makes a iso to USB tool. With a standard four gig USB stick you can make a bootable USB stick installer if the new laptop does not have a cd rom or your windows eight is a download. for moving the data the simple way would be to hook both laptops to your network and turn on file sharing and drag a copy of the files you want into a share folder and then drag them over to your new laptop.
the 20-30 cost is buy a USB to hard drive cable kit and pull the old drive out and connect it by USB. Or people by USB cases and turn the drive into an external unit. the last way is pick up a lap link kit. New ones have both the software and serial..parrel and USB cross over cables.
The old laptop is placed into slave mode and from the new pc you can drag and drop files from a third party file menu. Myself I find the new USB crossover cables and free lap link software is the easy set up.

Easiest way to transfer, purchase a cheap 2.5" HDD caddy, stick your old laptop drive in it and then copy files off, you also get the use of the old drive for backups once you format it to remove XP. Since you say XP laptop is 8 yrs old, suspect it to be IDE (25pins) and not sata (L shape single connection), either way, caddy only costs a few £.

Solution