New SSD in Razer Blade Stealth

TromboneMan

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
I am planning on buying a razer blade stealth base model and upgrading the ssd. I am concerned though that when I do this I would need to buy a new version of windows in order to boot. Is there anyway to back up the preinstalled windows onto a flash drive and then boot it onto the new ssd?

Solution
Win 10 doesn't work like that. you only need a new licence if you swap the CPU or motherboard, a new SSD doesn't force you to get a new version :)

If all you are doing is changing the drive windows is on, and nothing else about the Stealth, then all you need to do is put the ssd into Stealth and using an Installer DVD or USB created with the windows 10 media creation tool (see here) install Win 10 on the ssd (much safer to fresh install than use some other method)

change bios so it boots off the USB or DVD you make (your choice) first, SSD second in boot order
boot from installer and follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Provided you have used the laptop already and Windows 10 is...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 doesn't work like that. you only need a new licence if you swap the CPU or motherboard, a new SSD doesn't force you to get a new version :)

If all you are doing is changing the drive windows is on, and nothing else about the Stealth, then all you need to do is put the ssd into Stealth and using an Installer DVD or USB created with the windows 10 media creation tool (see here) install Win 10 on the ssd (much safer to fresh install than use some other method)

change bios so it boots off the USB or DVD you make (your choice) first, SSD second in boot order
boot from installer and follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Provided you have used the laptop already and Windows 10 is currently activated on it, when you reach the stage in the installation where it asks for your licence code, you just click "I don't have one" and Windows 10 will activate itself once its fully installed.

If for some reason Windows 10 isn't activated on the laptop currently, you may need to enter your win 10 key at this point, if you have one. Ideally you should make sure its activated now, before you start

To check it is, right click This PC on the desktop, select properties from the menu (its last one) and in next screen that opens, look at bottom and it tells you here if pc activated or not.

Solution

TromboneMan

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015

Thank You