New SSD Install Questions and Errors

nflsv21

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new 500gb ssd to replace my 120gb ssd. I purchased Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software for $20 but I keep getting the following errors:

"Failed to copy the partition with the OS. Error: VSS: Can't read the volume data."

Does anyone know what I need to do?

Furthermore, If i don't get to migrate the drive and reinstall Windows, will my other drives in the computer be formatted as well or will they be unharmed? If I unplug them, can I just plug them in after? I have Steam on a 1TB HDD.

Solution
VSS = Volume shadow copy.
This Windows feature allows files that would otherwise be locked to be copied, and also allows live volumes to be copied, even while they are still in use. When VSS works it is a great feature. But it can fail due to file permissions not being correct, or the VSS service not running, or bad sectors, or file system errors.

But in this case I think it is easier to clone the drive from a self booting USB drive or CD. Then VSS isn't required. There are free open source programs available to clone drives.

PassMark

Distinguished
VSS = Volume shadow copy.
This Windows feature allows files that would otherwise be locked to be copied, and also allows live volumes to be copied, even while they are still in use. When VSS works it is a great feature. But it can fail due to file permissions not being correct, or the VSS service not running, or bad sectors, or file system errors.

But in this case I think it is easier to clone the drive from a self booting USB drive or CD. Then VSS isn't required. There are free open source programs available to clone drives.

Solution

nflsv21

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Is there a way to fix VSS so I can use this program? I have limited internet and would hate to reinstall windows and all the updates and programs. I am using an air card for internet.