New SSD Install, Windows 10, help or advice requested

RandyM222

Honorable
Jan 17, 2016
Hello all,

I sure hope someone can point in the right direction... I just purchased a new SSD 480GB, I intend to install and have a few questions. I intend to do a fresh install of windows 10, I already have made a ISO on DVD to do so using Media Creator for windows 10 via the Microsoft website. Upon looking into my BIOS to get familiar with the boot options, etc. Upon doing so I cannot find anywhere in there to select or go from IDE to AHCI which I assume I must do, I however do see an option in this area that gives an option for RAID AHCI, Is this what I should select?? The motherboard is a MSI760GM-P23 that serves me well.

Secondly, Is there anything I need to do via Disk Management once in windows 10? I intend to simply install the SSD , disconnect the current HD and then commence with the windows Install. It is my hope to have this SSD as my C: Drive and then later connect the HD which operates fine, and use that as storage which I assume I can do upon formatting it for such. Which leads to another question, When I get to the point of reinstalling the HD , what are the steps to correctly format this drive and will windows assign a non conflicting Drive Letter automatically. Thanks much, I sure hope to hear something back soon , as I would prefer to do this today as it is the weekend and can dedicate the time necessary to do such. Thanks to all who respond , it is greatly appreciated.

Also, will my onboard audio be effected at all? Will I need to install the drivers for this or will windows automatically find this?

Solution
Not sure where the setting it for it but most modern motherboard come default as AHCI.

Also good thing you know to install windows with ONLY the target drive installed. Only since the days of XP have you ever had to worry about windows being installed on another drive except for C. Vista and up doesn't have that issue. Also when you plug back in the old drive just make sure the SSD is set to the primary boot drive and there won't be any issue with the other hard drive. Once in you can copy over what you want and then just simply format the drive.
Not sure where the setting it for it but most modern motherboard come default as AHCI.

Also good thing you know to install windows with ONLY the target drive installed. Only since the days of XP have you ever had to worry about windows being installed on another drive except for C. Vista and up doesn't have that issue. Also when you plug back in the old drive just make sure the SSD is set to the primary boot drive and there won't be any issue with the other hard drive. Once in you can copy over what you want and then just simply format the drive.

Solution