New SSD. Need to move OS.

Domcarm

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I just got CrucialMX300 275GB and I currently have 2 HDD's. One 2TB and one 3TB. The 3TB has windows 10 installed onto it. What I have seen is that you can clone it and move the OS to the SSD but lately my PC has been acting up and I want to reset it. The main question is: If I reset my PC completely, will I buy able to SELECT where to install windows 10? Like, it gives me he option to choose my SSD?

(Other Problems)
High DPC Latency

Solution
Hey there, @Domcarm!

Clean installing Windows onto the SSD is definitely the best solution. However, I'd recommend backing up any important data from the system somewhere off-site before tampering with the storage configuration. Afterwards, unplug all the HDDs and leave on the SSD intact. If you have more than one SATA destination drive connected to the motherboard at the time of Windows install, you might encounter an OS Confusion which will cause the system files to be scattered across all(or some of) the drives connected to the SATA ports. Make sure you have set the SATA mode for the SSD in AHCI and that you have it in the boot priorities. After you have Windows Up and running from the SSD, plug back the HDDs and reformat the one...
Hey there, @Domcarm!

Clean installing Windows onto the SSD is definitely the best solution. However, I'd recommend backing up any important data from the system somewhere off-site before tampering with the storage configuration. Afterwards, unplug all the HDDs and leave on the SSD intact. If you have more than one SATA destination drive connected to the motherboard at the time of Windows install, you might encounter an OS Confusion which will cause the system files to be scattered across all(or some of) the drives connected to the SATA ports. Make sure you have set the SATA mode for the SSD in AHCI and that you have it in the boot priorities. After you have Windows Up and running from the SSD, plug back the HDDs and reformat the one containing the previous Windows installation. (Just make sure you have a backup of the personal files there, so that you don't lose anything important)

Here's a great tutorial that can walk you through Windows Install & Optimization for SSDs & HDDs.

Hope it helps you. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns! :)
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

Solution